Myrrh is a magickal gift. It is religiously used for purification, protection, calm and healing. Many are familiar with it from the Biblical tale of the Wise Men. The gifts of these Magi to the newborn baby Jesus were said to have been Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh. Oddly enough the last two may have been more expensive than gold at that time. The use and power of myrrh have a long history.
The legendary Egyptian Queen Hatshepsut’s funerary temple is said to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. Images of young myrrh trees grace the reliefs on the walls and the entire surrounding area was also planted with myrrh during her time. Even the Queen of Sheba is said to have used myrrh and it’s magickally enticing properties to her advantage.
Many people are unsure what myrrh is. Myrrh is not an herb but technically a resin that comes from a tree grown in parts of Northern Africa. Myrrh is harvested by cutting into the bark which then drips out the golden resin, commonly referred to as tears. The tears are used as an incense base for many different magickal formulas. Myrrh is considered feminine and is associated primarily with the energy of the moon.
9 Facts about Myrrh
- Ancient Egyptians used myrrh oil to help bless, preserve and embalm the dead
- It’s been used for medicinal and ceremonial purposes for 5,000 years.
- Supposedly when a sacred Phoenix is said to transform it builds a nest of myrrh and frankincense to set alight.
- Myrrh helps to balance out the root chakra
- It aids in astral travel and meditation by helping with focus.
- Sacred to the Goddesses Hecate and Isis
- Used in Aleister Crowley’s Abramelin oil formula and Egyptian Kyphi incense
- Some cultures soaked myrrh resin in red wine before burning on charcoal
- A 1996 paper reported that Myrrh is said to dull pain in mice
Three Kings Oil Recipe
The religion of La Regla Lucumi, also commonly known as Santeria, the three kings are honored during the feast of the Epiphany. This is when the three kings were said to have arrived with their sacred gifts. The following oil formula can be worn or used to anoint candles as part of your magickal practice.
3 drops Frankincense oil
3 drops Myrrh oil
3 drops Sandalwood oil
3 drops amber resin
shake of gold glitter
¼ oz sweet almond oil
Combine all ingredients in a glass bottle. Make the sign of the cross with the bottle to bless it. Use to cleanse yourself of negativity and to release pain.
Stay tuned to the Voodoo Universe for more great information about Frankincense and Gold are coming, and if you enjoyed what you read here please, pardon the pun and Share the wealth !