There is a Chinese Proverb that says “To get through the hardest journey we need take only one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping”. Those first steps can be frightening and confusing especially if you aren’t sure which direction to go. It is so much easier to bury ourselves in self loathing and excuses, but is far from attractive.
In January, I set these goals for 2012:
My Best Year Ever
- Spend quality time with my family and friends. I have spent too many years worrying about making sure everybody thought highly of me because I went above and beyond, and yet the people who support and love me the most have been put on the backburner.
- Schedule time for me. Even if just 10 minutes a day. It can be a bubble bath, a good book, a massage, a walk in the park. Relaxing and reconnecting with my own soul is a must.
- Go outside more, no matter the season. Enjoy all that I am given. No complaints of the heat, the rain, the snow, the cold…just enjoy the present moment for what it is.
- Don’t be apologetic for saying ‘no’. I say ‘I am sorry’ all too much after the ‘no’ happens. Keep the ‘I am sorry’ for when I really am. It can be a polite, ‘No, I cannot do it’ without it being a soulful apology that makes me feel awful days later.
- Be open to my feelings. Many times I don’t want to hurt anybody and so I avoid the confrontation, but in the meantime, I hurt myself. The conversation doesn’t have to be defensive, but instead authentic and honest.
- Stop fearing dreams/aspirations. No matter how silly my dreams and aspirations might be, I will not fear going forward, or fearing what others will think/say/do.
- Be creative. This is one reason I began the Creative Meditation classes. The creativity is oozing to get out, but I often claim there isn’t time. I am making time.
- Organize my life. No more junk drawers or useless things. Organizing the house and office attract a clear and cleaner energy.
- Be grateful, affirm and set goals. By continuing my 5x5x5 in 5 minutes Journal – write down everyday 5 things you are grateful for, 5 things you affirm that you want and 5 goals), it will help move me forward with a vision.
- Be in the present. Life moves so quickly.
I look back at them as a reminder that, well, I need to look back on them and take action.
How many times have you discovered that you weren’t given the promotion that you believed you so well deserved or the so-called love of your life dumped you and instead of thinking that a door closed and another (and better one) will soon open, you pouted, stomped up and down, swore, and pretty much allowed the bitterness to envelope your soul? I think we’ve all gone through something similar, but I want to remind you that as soon as you let go of the anger of the situation, new blessings begin to shine through. So in essence, you are sabotaging the very thing that you want. You are building the walls that block your journey. Your true journey.
So if you’re upset and think that life stinks, I dare you to begin your journey. Throw off the blankets, put some nice clothes on, dry your tears and take one step at a time. Before you know it, the right doors (and people and situations) will present themselves and you will wonder what all the fuss was about! It only takes a small step to change your life and before you know it, those steps are leaps and bounds! Allow others to help you, even if just with a kind word or a helpful idea, it helps makes the journey so much more enjoyable.