Here is a copy of my MHA presentation text, “Early LDS Attempts to Reconcile Scripture with Science: Pre-Mormon Pre-Adamites and Intellectual (In)Dependence.” As the text read at the meeting, it lacks footnotes and citations, but here is some of the bibliography.
- Adam’s Ancestors: Race, Religion, and the Politics of Human Origins, David N. Livingstone
- Livingstone has done some pioneering and interesting work in this area.
- The Scofield Bible: Its History and Impact on the Evangelical Church, Mangum and Sweetnam
- The Creationists: From Scientific Creationism to Intelligent Design, Ronald Numbers
- Erosion of Biblical Certainty: Battles over Authority and Interpretation in America, Lee
- A very important work showing how the adoption of enlightenment standards by the Bible’s defenders ultimately helped undermine it.
- Cotton Mather and Biblia Americana–America’s First Bible Commentary: Essays in Reappraisal, Smolinski/Stievermann
- Nature and Scripture in the Abrahamic Religions: 1700-Present, van der Meer et. al.
- Isaac La Peyrère (1596-1676): His Life, Work and Influence, Popkin
As always, you can help me pay my tuition here, or you can support my work through making your regular Amazon purchases through this Amazon link. You can also get updates by email whenever a post goes up (subscription box on the right). If you friend me on Facebook, please drop me a note telling me you’re a reader. I tend not to accept friend requests from people I’m not acquainted with.