Does anyone else feel like this Pope is redefining what you thought was possible for a pope to look like? This pope seems to be the real deal. I am amazed at the way that every day he surprises me with another example of humility and a pastoral heart.
- Taking public transit as a Cardinal and choosing to leave the conclave in the bus too
- Taking care of his own business over & over & over
- Refusing the grandeur of the Papal palace
- His new choice of humble vestments
- His willingness to get down with the people
- His repeated identification of himself as the Bishop of Rome rather than the Pope
- His practice of “popping in” places unexpectedly
- This small private liturgy Holy Thursday Liturgy with a few of the marginalized in his dioceses
- His choice of a name, so that he will remember the poor.
- His concerns about environmentalism
- And then there’s this
EDIT: A number of people seem to have misunderstood me. Here are a few points to clarify this list.
- This article asks if Francis is redefining what you thought was possible for a pope to look like… not the nature of the papacy
- Just because I see good in something different does not mean I find fault in the “old way.” Vestments for example can preach the Gospel both in their simplicity and in their complexity. I am thrilled that the church has room for both. I love Benedict for the gifts he brought to the papicy and I love Francis for the gifts he brings. Every member of the Body of Christ is different. Just because I praise God for an eye doesn’t mean I damn a toe for being a toe.