- Smile. It is something simple that does not require an explanation or much pre-planning. Smiling is not just something that makes you feel better but it can brighten the world around you as well. Sometimes a smile is all I have to offer and yet it has been the gateway to conversation, intimacy understanding or even hope. Your smile might be someone else’s tool on a bad day.
- Being present. When you are present in the moment, you are able to recognize people around you differently than when your mind is somewhere else. People often communicate in non-verbal ways that are subtle and can be hidden. When you are present with others, you are open to the many possibilities that add to the quality of your engagement. It can be a true gift to have someone be in sync with you.
- Donate. If you have things you no longer use or do not need, donate them to someone else. There are plenty of places that you could donate to that would benefit someone else who might be less fortunate. There are places like Goodwill and the Salvation Army all around, in every city, but there are also shelters, soup kitchens, youth programs, toy drives, coat drives and other programs that need things for their participants. It is a blessing to have too much when others do not have enough.
- Your time. If you are not able to donate money or goods to a charitable cause, donate your time. There is always a need for people to come and be a part of supporting the structures that help others. Good volunteers are hard to come by.
- Prayer. The power of prayer or sharing energy with others is good for everyone’s soul. It is something that is inexpensive, takes little time and does not run out of supply. However you extend your well wishes towards others is an acceptable personal, spiritual choice, but it is an important tool we all have at our disposal. Lending energy to another person, or a group of people, can change the energetic trajectory of their path and it can also be humbling to remember what we have.
True Holiday Spirituality in Action