Boston's Gay Pride mass is back on

It will happen next month, according to the Boston Globe:

“See you all on July 10!’’ said Rainbow Ministry president John Kelly, throwing his hands into the air at an alternative service held outside the church last night. An audience of nearly 250 people, from children in baseball uniforms to elderly couples in their Sunday best, applauded.

The Rainbow Ministry of St. Cecilia’s Church will host the Mass at 11 a.m. on that date.

Earlier this month, the church had announced in its bulletin that it planned to hold a Mass yesterday themed “All Are Welcome,’’ to support Boston Pride Month. But following a flurry of criticism from bloggers and conservative Catholics, the archdiocese canceled the Mass.

Instead, the Rainbow Ministry sponsored last night’s open-air prayer service, also themed “All Are Welcome.’’

Members of the congregation led readings, hymns, and prayers from a podium set up on the sidewalk across the street from the church on Belvidere Street near the Berklee College of Music. As the evening sun flooded the block with warm light, some parishioners listened to the service gathered in a semicircle around the speakers, while others filled the shaded church steps.

One young woman could be seen listening from the third floor of a red-brick building next door, her head stuck out the window looking down on the scene. Police blocked off part of the street for the service.

“Remind us that what unites us is greater than what divides us,’’ parish council member Susan Donnelly said during the opening prayer.

“Amen!’’ someone in the crowd murmured.

Read the rest.

Comments

1. Civil Law and Canon Law are not the same. I am sorry that the Church feels as if they need to be involved in this at all. Either you attend the parade or you don’t? I don’t like St. Patrick’s Day Parades, or every the Derby Parade up in Louisville. I choose to not go. This is not a reason to turn up the blogosphere or to start gay bashing.

Lord, have mercy
    Christ, have mercy
    Lord, have mercy.

2. I don’t think the parade is the issue. I think it is the celebration of the holy sacrifice of the mass in conjunction with the gay pride agenda that brings this into the justifiable realm of Church concern. If there were any other month-long celebration of a lifestyle or behavior that is opposed to the law of the Church you would not expect a mass to be associated with it.

Way to go! Glad it is back on. Inclusion, not exclusion is the proper path, IMO anyhow.

4. romancrusader says:

This is outright heresy! We must pray for them.

5. It would be interesting to see how Saint Cecelia’s Church is announcing this Mass. I viewed the Church’s bulletin for June 19th on line. It isn’t mentioned.

The newspaper reports an upcoming Mass and the president of the Rainbow Ministry seems to have announced it, but I wonder how the pastor and diocese are framing it? What does it mean that the Rainbow Ministry is “hosting” the Mass? This article doesn’t mention anything said by the pastor or the diocese. Some important information is probably missing.

There is a statement in one of the bulletin articles that mentions that conservatives AND liberals have misinterpreted things. That could be happening with this article.

6. Deacon John M. Bresnahan says:

Let’s face it. This Mass has nothing to do with “inclusion .” The Mass (and confession) is open and available to everyone most days
    in almost every Catholic Church in the archdiocese.
    Instead this whole charade is part of a movement determined to break down the Catholic Church’s Christian morality that says sexual relations are for inside traditional marriage-period.

7. Young Canadian RC Male says:

One of life’s little humours/coincidences: The two extremes of this blog, pagansister and romancrusader, with their comments side by side.

Makes life more interesting, YCRCmale.

9. Deacon Bresnahan has it right on.

10. all are welcome and condoning homosexual behavior are two different things

11. Unless the homily will be geared toward the full understanding of homosexuality – that is, the sin as delineated in both the OT and the NT – as well as love and prayer for the sinner, then this is in very poor judgement. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised, but I don’t think so.

Manny…

I just looked. The gospel for that Sunday is the parable of the sower. There’s rich material there, if they choose to use it.

13. Michael Lee says:

Maybe an Annual Planned Parenthood Mass will be the next offering.

14. romancrusader says:

YCRCmale,
    I don’t want a religion that accepts me for who I am. I like a religion that challenges me to do better than what I’m currently doing. If you don’t like what I say then get off this blog.

15. Romancrusader, I think YCRCmale was just making a wry observation — not attacking you personally.

16. romancrusader:

I think that you missed the point of Young Canadian RC Male’s post.

Although I do not always agree with everything that pagansister and Young Canadian RC Male write, I must admit that their ideas are thought-provoking and help me clarify my own opinions and values.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment: “I like a religion that challenges me to do better than what I’m currently doing.”

But not, “If you don’t like what I say then get off this blog.” With all due respect, this is not your sandbox.

17. “Remind us that what unites us is greater than what divides us”

If that’s the case, then why do you have to have a special Mass?

18. romancrusader says:

Point taken HMS,

I’m saying that those who celebrate the sin of homosexuality of acting like fools. Heck we mights as well say,

“black is a vaccuum. 3 is a color. Songs fix cars. Hurry up it’s Halloween! Nice was love bust. Waterfalls are baby.”

How long will it be before we become an Islamic state? All this rediculous nonsense that the “Catholic Church is imcompatible with modern society”. Bull feathers. I’ve got news for the liberal church of America. The popularity of sin makes it no less of a sin.

19. Kudos to Deacon John. He got it right.

20. oldestof9 says:

I don’t mean to subvert…but my church accepts me as I am and loves me enough NOT to leave me there.

IMHO love (of the person) and acceptance(of the person) go hand in hand…not of their sin, of course.
    Judge the sin NOT the person…

Peace to all

21. @DeaconGreg in #12

Wow, the parable of the sower! That’s an incredible coincident, or as Fr, Groeschel likes to say, “there are no coincidences.”

Not all homos**uals engage in s**ual activity. Therefore “Pride” is not necessarily an endorsement of sin.

The fact is that when young people become aware of their disordered orientation, many do feel shame in light of the Church’s teachings, especially if they are unaware of the importance of the distinction between the orientation (not sinful per se) and sinful activity. So a Mass which specifically affirms that their orientation is not itself a bar to their full participation in the Church can be useful pastorally.

I have made the point on a blog in Boston which has been following all of this, that there has to be considerable latitude given to pastoral discretion. In the first place, it can be safely presumed that everybody knows that the Church teaches that homos**ual activity is wrong. Therefore, if a pastor preaches that doctrine from the pulpit, he won’t be telling the people anything they don’t already know. But the job of the pastor is to help his people grow in holiness. Instantaneous conversions are not the norm. Poorly formed consciences must be gradually corrected. Deadened consciences must be gradually awakened. The pastor must take care that he does not drive away souls that the Holy Spirit is drawing closer. Much encouragement to rethink one’s ways can be provided in private, tailored to the individual. Rather than denouncing certain sins from the pulpit, a pastor could decide that it is more prudent to make the call to conversion more general — reminding everybody that we are all sinners, we are all called to ongoing conversion and growth in holiness — and then let the Holy Spirit speak to each person about what that person needs to do to convert and grow more holy. Let God place it on their hearts when he has prepared them to receive it.

I am sure that s**ually active homos**ual Catholics live constantly in the tension between what the Church teaches and what they are doing (and how they may have rationalized it to themselves). Rather than making the tension unbearable, the good pastor will let that tension work, in God’s good time, to bring them back to a holy way of life.

23. naturgesetz has it right on! The Mass should have an atmosphere of clarification and reassurance- people should understand that Christ’s universal Church is open to all. We are all sinners. Maybe with a Mass specifically geared towards gays, the Church’s teaching on homosexual behavior could be better understood. The Church should have a reputation of loving particular groups who sin and reaching out to help them, rather than feeding the perception of these groups that the Church is out to condemn.

24. Esrher Ventura Ferencz says:

Deacon, I returned to this page as I saw a sign under my postings online as to my post ON this article was onsite. I am online at the article and I SEE ITS GONE. ummmmmmmmmmmm ah well.
    ANY MASS that is held in celebration of GAY PRIDE, whereby there is celebration regarding the sexual lifestyle of said peoples is a GRAVE MORAL EVIL…………….and PUNSIHABLE by fire by GOD. A simple LAY person knows this is FACT and morally unacceptable by the church. WE love all sinners, in all stripes………..even gay stripes. NOT the SEXUAL ACT which is in point of FACT EVIL!