New York ordains just one priest — and his first Mass is in Latin

Details:

Today Fr. Patric D’Arcy, newly ordained priest of the Archdiocese of New York, celebrated his first Mass - a Solemn High Mass in the Extraordinary Form – amid the Gothic splendor of Blessed Sacrament Church. Many clergy and seminarians were in attendance. A schola performed both chant and polyphony, including Allegri’s Miserere.

The website for the Archdiocese of New York has biographical details about Fr. D’Arcy:

As a child, Father Patric D’Arcy looked up to his father as a role model. So when he saw that his father viewed priests as “honorable, noble and good,” he realized the priesthood was “something special.”

“My parents, especially my dad, always showed great respect for the Church and for priests,” Father D’Arcy said. His father, Frank, and his mother, Maureen, attended Sunday Mass faithfully with their four children. He credits the faith of his parents, and their support, as the greatest influences early in his vocation.

“Both of my parents spent their energy building their family and their children,” he said of his home life in Galt, Ontario, Canada.

Father D’Arcy credits his grandparents, notably his grandmothers as another early influence on his faith life. They shared with him their love of the Holy Father, the Church, Our Lady, the Blessed Sacrament and the Mass.

His grandmothers also taught him an important lesson he has carried with him throughout his life. “When faced with confusion, the pope is always someone to look to,” he said.

In recalling his childhood, Father D’Arcy told how serving as an altar boy affected his vocation journey. His father was an altar server as a boy, and when Father D’Arcy learned that, he likewise wanted to serve. The experience made an impact right away.

“When I started to serve Mass during the week, that’s when I started praying and fell in love with the Mass,” he said.

Congratulations!  Ad multos annos!

Comments

1. vox borealis says:

Well, if there is only to be one, at least he’s doing it the right way! (Oh calm down all you Latinphobes..I’m just joking, mostly).

2. Deacon Jim Casa says:

Perhaps, Father D’Arcy should have offered his first homily in Latin as well. Had he done this, I trust that the congregation who attended would have enjoyed a most remarkable and enlightening moment during his first Mass.

3. David J. White says:

That was awfully snarky, Deacon Jim.

It’s amazing, the desperate, fearful hostility that the traditional Latin Mass stirs up in some people!

Or perhaps I should say,

Infacetiose dixisti, Diacone! Quam strenue multi Missam Latinam timent, eique — mirabile dictu! — invident!

4. To some, the Novus Ordo is too much like a pep rally in a gym. To others, the Extraordinary Form is too much like grand opera at the Met. There’s truth in both, but that’s never the whole truth. Let us welcome diversity of forms, with charity in all things. Ad multos annos, Father. Or, as they say in my preferred form, Hang in there!

5. I have never been to a Latin mass. I did a search a few months for a church in the New York area that performed it and couldn’t find one. Does anyone know of a scheduled Latin Mass in New York City that I could get to. While I support the non Latin version for the masses (no pun intended) I really should experience a Latin one to have an educated opinion.

Congratulations to Fr. D’Arcy.

6. vox borealis says:

I’m not sure that “performed” is the best verb to use.

7. Modern Revert says:

A chance attendance at a Latin Mass brought me back to the church after 20 years as an ECO Catholic. http://latininpatton.blogspot.com/

Manny:

Check this website for Latin Mass times and locations in New York City.

DGK

9. Chris Mac says:

What nastiness about a young priest’s nod to tradition! At least he’s not harping on the difference between cup and chalice, like one of those lost Japanese soldiers found in the ’60s still fighting the war on a forgotten island.

I am sure Fr. D’Arcy can say the Mass in both English and Latin in a reverent manner. I am sure he is a man of courage, and I will pray for him; it can’t be easy to make the choice to become a priest these days.

10. vox borealis says:

Amen, amen, dico vobis! Well said.

11. vox borealis says:

Great link, Deacon Greg. Oh would that the major metropolitan city in which I reside had so many masses offered in Latin to choose from.

12. Only one priest ordained in a diocese with about 400 parishes…
    and he celebrates first mass in Latin.
    Keep that up and they’ll soon be no priests ordained in New York…
    and a lot less than 400 parishes!

13. vox borealis says:

I’m not sure that I follow. No priests who celebrated their firs mass not in Latin were ordained. 100% of the priests ordained said their first mass in Latin. It strikes me that perhaps your underlying logic is backwards. Keep this up and perhaps next year there will be even more priests ordained, all willing to celebrate the older form of the Roman Rite in accordance with the wishes of the current Pope.

14. I wasn’t sure either. Is “celebrated” the correct verb?

15. Thank you.

16. Hi Manny-
    Church of Our Saviour at 9. 38th and Park.
    St. Agnes at 11. 43rd and 3rd.
    Holy Innocents at 10 on Sundays, 1 on Saturdays, and 6 on weekdays. 37th and Broadway.

There are other places in Manhattan, and in the boroughs. But these are all in Midtown.

17. Fantastic. Three Cheers for Father D’Arcy.
    This is the future of the Church. We are finally clawing our way out of the post-Vat. II purgatory.
    Thanks be to God.

18. I have no problems with the choice of Latin or English Mass. What bothers me are those who seem to want all Masses in Latin or want the English Mass to be an English version of the 1963 Latin Mass.

19. Not to worry. I understand that a MUCH bigger class is in the pipeline for ordination next spring.

20. I just read the details on the other blog and note that the director of the schola was my own choir director, Kyler Brown. Cool!

21. oldestof9 says:

Amen, Will.
    The Church must be “all things for all people.”

22. The main reason for only 1 ordination for the archdiocese (and 1 for the CFRs) is a recent change in formation from one to two years, then 4 years of seminary. Here’s a link the the Catholic New York article.

23. I have to wonder about a formation — indeed, and the vocation — that leaves a man in Holy Orders so contemptuous of his own Rite.

24. Vox,
    Keep it up and you can go to church stinking like the poor homeless person mentioned in the Catholic Worker blog post today.
    The good news is– only you and a couple of your lingua-latina friends will notice the smell, because no one else will be in church!

25. Yes, “celebrated” is correct.

If you do make your way to a celebration in the X-form, I hope you’ll seek out a Solemn Mass. Low Mass is suitable only for the liturgically advanced, able to perceive the intended symbolism stripped down to bare-bones minimalism. Keep in mind that you cannot approach the X-Form on your terms, but on its own. Like God’s grace, the traditional Latin Mass can be daunting and is ultimately refused by many because it requires a certain receptiveness and willingness to change on the part of the recipient. It is a hard lesson, especially for Americans who’re hard-wired to the expectation that the customer’s always right.

26. Evelyn Milne says:

The irreverence of the Novus Ordo Mass and lack of Catechesis is the reason there is only one priest ordained. We also only had one ordained in our City.

27. Joe, you must not know a lot of seminarians. It’s the Extraordinary Form that produces a vastly more-than-proportionate share of vocations, and sustains even more men while in formation.

The traditional Latin Mass is the real youth Mass.

28. In case that was too vague, I’m speaking to you, Deacon Jim Casa.

29. Congrats Father!!! May you be an inspiration to many other young men!! Feel free to come to Buffalo and offer Mass in this form any time!

30. Ad Multos Annos!

31. How wonderful. Wish I had been in New York for Father’s first Mass. Why are seminaries that teach the celebration of the Latin Mass, bulging at the seams with men who are drawn to this most sacred celebration? Is it because we who attend KNOW why we are at Mass? Not just to “feel good” for an hour a week. We are privileged to have the Mass in the EF every Sunday. Recently we had to attend a Sunday Mass in northern California. It could only be described as a “hootenany” Mass complete with tamborines. The celebrant gave a very good, orthodox homily. The only moment of sanity in the music was a LATIN chant Ave Maria at Communion time. The rest of the music was hand-clapping, knee-slapping OCP drivel that passes for worship songs or hymns. It is evident in California that the bishops, for the most part, have not implemented the new (really old, Vatican II) guidelines for appropriate sacred music at the Mass. Only one parish here sings the Introit, the Offertory, and Commuion antiphons. The whole parish, including the children have learned the chant versions of these, in English.

32. Ok, thanks.

33. That’s my reaction too.

34. Barbara P says:

I think when God hears the sound of voices lifted up in praise to Him, He doesn’t consider it drivel no matter what it sounds like to some human ears. What you described sounds like a very joyful Mass. I love Latin hymns and chants, but I think other music has its place too.

35. ron chandonia says:

The old mass did not exist in isolation from the 19th century theology (papal fundamentalism) and spirituality (otherworldly pietism) of the pre-Vatican II Church. Some of its fans would love to see Catholicism returned to those days. They imagine a Church triumphal over the wiles of Satan, the Jesuits and the President of the United States. But that is not what they are going to get. The piece by Jamie Manson that Deacon Greg posted above predicted much more accurately where this all leads.

36. Yes, Barbara P — that’s what you think. What if you’re wrong? What makes your opinion anything more than a personal sentiment?

37. David J. White says:

St. Agnes, in midtown, not far from Grand Central Station:

38. David J. White says:

As Thomas Day mentiones in *Why Catholics Can’t Sing*, the homeless always seem to know where the beautiful churches and beautiful liturgies with a sense of sacred are to be found.

39. David J. White says:

Barbara, I understand what you’re saying, but in too many parishes that has become an excuse for mediocrity, or even an excuse for not even trying. “Why try to have beautiful music? God knows what’s in my heart. Why both dressing up for Mass? God knows what’s in my heart. Why bother taking the time to practice the music and readings before Mass? God knows what’s in my heart.” Sure, but isn’t God worth making an effort for?

40. Midwestlady says:

Dcn, please don’t call members of the laity stupid. We know how mass goes. A little Latin doesn’t change that. We get it.

41. Midwestlady says:

How is that any different than people who throw a tantrum if they hear Latin in Church, Will? They’re both being stuck in their own ways. Both are instances of intolerance.

42. Here’s a site that seems to offer locations of EF Masses all over the U.S. and Canada: http://web2.airmail.net/carlsch/EFMass/churches.htm

43. A very concerning response from someone supposed to be a member of the Catholic clergy. The snark literally took my breath away. If that’s a widespread attitude then it explains a lot for me.

44. Barbara P says:

I know it’s my personal sentiment. If you are not interested don’t read my comment. . I don’t think people who are joyfully praising God should be insulted by having their prayer called “drivel.” I am all for bringing beautiful music into Church but praising God should be the focus.

45. Romulus,
    You must not know a lot of Catholics.

46. Kimberly Walters says:

David,

The best website that keeps track of latin mass in the country is http://www.ecclesiadei.org. And yes, there are several latin masses offered at different parishes in the NYC archdiocese. Just go to the website given and look up the latin mass directory. Hope that helps!

47. Kimberly Walters says:

Keep your head in the sand if you choose. Put the enthusiasm, and vibrancy of the faith is generally being fostered mostly by the latin mass communities, or novus ordo communities that have perpetual adoration or a more reverent liturgy. This being said NOT just from personal experience, but also by looking at the news and statistics.

48. My sentiments.

In some dioceses, young men are celebrating the older form in secret, private Masses because they don’t want it to affect future assignments or suffer other consequences at the hand of those who just don’t like it, and are in control.

This is just silly. Neither form is going away and people will have a right to go to either one they choose.

With regards to the Latin used in the older form, just consider how many saints there are in the Church who were raised in that Mass and managed to get the graces they needed, despite the Latin. Not every saint knew Latin.

49. 10 yrs ago I was a student of Father D’Arcys’, his example, friendship and wisdom were instrumental in the formation of my faith. The people criticising his decision to say his first mass in the EF have their heads on backwards. It was my first time participating in the Latin form and the experience left me with a craving for more, the beauty of the mass, especially the respect shown Our Lord and his Mother, something sorely lacking in most masses I attend regularly, was amazing. Father D’Arcy is greatly looked up to by the other seminarians as well as the youth he interacts with in his ministry and I am sure his example will only inspire more men and women to give their lives to God.

50. Donal Mahoney says:

Deacon Jim Casa, I suspect you are too young to have been reared and schooled in the Latin Rite, as I was. Nor did you drop out of the Catholic Church, probably, as I did for 40 years, only to return to discover the Novus Ordo. What a surprise.

I came back, Deacon Jim, for two reasons: I did not want to go to hell–and I believed, as I always did, in the Real Presence in the Holy Eucharist. Remove the Real Presence–and I am probably a Quaker rather than attend a Novus Ordo Mass.

Perhaps you have a problem with the Latin Rite failing to incorporate Permanent Deacons. I am not qualified to comment on that because I don’t know if that is a fact. But I have been attending the Novus Ordo Mass now for four years. I see it as part of my penance for a life ill-spent.

In terms of worship–namely, the Sacrifice of the Mass as opposed to the “meal” of the Novus Ordo–there is no comparison. As soon as my Novus Ordo pastor retires, I will make every effort to attend the Latin Rite exclusively unless I begin to miss the “wave” that occurs during the Sign of Peace.

Were it not for the holiness of my ancient pastor and the incessant preaching of Father John Corapi on EWTN for years, I’d still be living in mortal sin. Corapi beat me up and my holy pastor knocked me out.

This weekend, I will offer up the Novus Ordo Mass for the return of Father John Corapi to the Sacraments, assuming he has not yet returned. I’m certainly not the only one who owes Father Corapi more than a simple thank you. I owe him my participation once again in Sanctifying Grace. I can’t ask for anything more.

51. “Corapi beat me up and my holy pastor knocked me out.”

Wow! That is some conversion experience – certainly rivals St. Paul’s.

All kidding aside, I am glad you reverted.

52. Donal Mahoney says:

Will,

As much as I like the Latin Mass, I would not want to see the Novus Ordo disappear. I would simply like to see the Latin Mass more available once there were enough priests able and willing to send it. It would be too much of a shock to Catholics reared in the Novus Ordo Mass to see it disappear just as it was a shock to me, reared in the Latin Mass, to come back to the Church and find the Novus Ordo. The culture shock was overwhelming. All that saved me, as I mentioned in an earlier post, was my uninterrupted belief in the Real Presence. I truly received the gift of Faith in infant Baptism because there is no other way to explain my continuous belief in the 40 years that I was away from the Church. I have much to be thankful for. But why did God let me retain the gift of faith and not my otherwise “righteous” grammar school classmate who is today an agnostic.

53. Barbara P:
    It may interest some people to refer back to the post here on the Deacon’s Bench about the newly ordained Nigerian priest in Palm Beach, “It’s something glorious.” There are two pictures in the original article. The second one shows the way I remember seeing Nigerian Catholics praise God at Mass.

54. Kimberly,
    It would be great to look at real statistics.
    You get em and I’ll bet that if you invited 10,000 randomly select practicing, vibrant Catholics to switch to Mass in Latin, you’d have a hard time filling a church.

The choice for Latin Mass should certainly be available. To think it’s the future is not accurate but downright delusional.

Good bless ALL of our Church!

55. Why so much arrogance in so many responses? This is a serious question?

56. I brought my 29 yr old son to his first EF Mass at St John Cantius in Chicago’s near north. I did so with much trepidation that he might be turned off by the strangeness of the whole ritual and ambience: celebrant with his back to the people, two opposing choir lofts at the center of the nave, life-size crucifix to the epistle side, etc. He didn’t study Latin. I asked him his reaction to the EF Mass; he was awed by the reverence of it all. I was glad and thanked God.

57. Sorry–no second question mark. Should read: Why so much arrogance in so many responses? This is a serious question.

58. Linda Lucy S says:

What a BEAUTIFUL Mass — so much like what I remember of the Roman Catholic Church when I attended Our Lady Queen of Martyrs, Forest Hills, till moving in 1969 at age 11. (“Hooray” I then thought… no more “ugly” school uniforms! no more early Sunday morning Mass!) Seeing this article of the beautiful and sacred ordination and celebration of Fr D’Arcy’s first Mass reminded me the earlier article that with just one priest had been ordained in 2012, in the Diocese of Brooklyn. It makes me think that the Vatican needs to revisit and re-evaluate “Celibacy.” IMHO, one day, some day, I hope they will change the celibacy requirement so many men who want to SERVE GOD and have a family life as is done in all other Christian denominations as a cleric (I am not speaking of or dismissing ordained “Deacon” ) .

As for myself, though raised as RC (in fact it was at OLQM), I left the church for many yrs and didn’t attend any church for 20yrs, married a Coptic Christian, then eventually decided to return to RC church when I separated (the church of my youth) and took RCIA as an adult in the transition, until leaving RC church again.
    When I the RCIA class after apx 30yrs absence from RC church, my question to Sr Jacqueline in FL, was why not “married priesthood” as there is in the Armenian church (my parents are immigrants & Orthodox, but we were sent to Parochial school & church) or married priests as in the Coptic church

What I eventually found was the Traditional Anglican Church, of which the High Mass I attended being very much pre-Vatican II (ie, priest faces the altar) but in English. It had all the “bells, smells,” and the endless reverence of KNEELING (“let us pray”) throughout the Mass that I remembered as a pre-teen in the ’60′s. Unfortunately the ACA imploded. Lucky are the ACA traditional parishes that were able to enter the “ORDINARIATE” in the US, (I am NOT referring to the Episcopal church), until recent upheavals in the Anglican Church in America (what a disaster!!) and dissolution of parishes. I have once again returned to the RC Church. Unfortunately, the Novus Ordo of the RC church I’m now attending, though only 55min long and with incredible “packed” pews, and not like the Traditional High Mass with only 20-30 in pews for the 1.5hr Mass. The genuflecting, the Sign of the Cross, the adoration and reverence are something I am missing. (I’d love to find a RC church that is “Traditional” … in the L.A. area, ad guess that means a “Latin Mass” … just wish it was in English.)

So my question would be CELIBACY. Should the Vatican reconsider it? I believe that I asked “WHY not “married” priesthood like the Orthodox church?” It’s a man-made mandate from what I understand. I was told that it was not a “requirement” by Jesus Christ, no where in the New Testament of the Bible. Who told me? Sr. Jacqueline from FL, when as a returning RC attendee after yrs of absence, I chose to take RCIA classes as an adult. If I remember correctly from 15yrs ago, she said it was around the time of the CRUSADES when priests would leave their homes for prolonged pilgrimages and evangelization trips, possibly yrs at a time that ordained priests were required to take the vow of celibacy so that they didn’t have divided attention to a family back home and the Crusade journey. She said it was likely also the issue of “inheritance” upon the passing of the Catholic priest… the Church or the family.

So, what do other Catholics think?

59. Fiergenholt says:

As a church historian, I am more apt to agree more with the “inheritance” issue that that wierd “crusade” issue your friend suggested. That did not seem to be a problem with secular military leaders of that time.

–REMEMBER, there were no priestly seminaries in the Middle Ages. Priests were trained in an “apprentice” model and it also helped that in those agrarian societies, fathers were expected to train their oldest sons in the “family business.” Being a priest was — in other words — every bit a “family business.” Appointments to a specific congregation with a specific place of worship were permanent.

–Because of the Protestant Reformation, the Council of Trent — mid 1500′s — had to make the final decision here and it CLEARLY stated that celibacy was “Church Law” and not “Divine Law.” The idea here is that “Church Law” (what we call today “Church Discipline”) can and does change depending upon circumstances whereas “Dive Law” is immutable and eternal. They could hardly decide differently. Best experts I know in the field indicate that: (1) The only member of “The Twelve” who was not married was John; (2) All of the first 33 men we later identified as “Popes” were not only married men but they are all now considered “Saints”; (3) The rich tradition of the married priesthood in the Eastern Rites was in place then and remains in place now.

–Someone once told me that out of approximately 20,000 ordained Roman Catholic priests in the United States, some 500 are married men who were ordained AFTER they were married but before their wives had died. Almost all were already in priestly orders from Eastern Rites, the Anglican Communion or even “”Elder” orders in the Lutheran traditions who converted over.

This is really weird. The district wide RCIA is meeting at my parish at 11:30am this morning and I am the presenter. The Topic: The Sacraments of Marriage and Orders. I have every reason to believe the question of married priests will come up — it always does when I do this presentation. My buddy “f” did that brief over-view above and I may just use that posting word-for word.

We’ll see how it goes. Blessings to all.

61. Fr Francis says:

Last time i checked, One was a whole number.

Trackbacks

1. [...] foreign priests doing advanced studies. Next year, about 90 are expected.Read more.RELATED: New York ordains just one priest —and his first Mass is in Latin Filed Under: Priests, Vocations Tagged With: New York, Priests, Vocations « BREAKING: [...]