According to the University of Tennessee, in what is, reportedly, the first-ever attempt to classify different types of atheism, researchers have identified 6 types of atheists. If you are an atheist, what flavor are you? Is there a category they didn’t think of? If you are close to someone who is an atheist, do you recognize them in these types?
1. Intellectual Atheist/Agnostic–The true believer (er, non-believer) who seeks to develop his non-belief through reading and other intellectual pursuits related to atheism.
2. Activist– The evangelists. It isn’t enough to reject God. They need to convert others.
3. Seeker-agnostic– They embrace uncertainty. They’re pretty sure there is no God, but they are open to the possibility.
4. Anti-Theist– Antagonistic to religion. Equates religion with ignorance.
5. Non-Theist– Not concerned with religion at all. Just don’t think about it. Apathetic.
6. Ritual Atheist–Doesn’t believe in God, but thinks religious rituals serve a healthy role for personal growth and social stability.