1) You don’t need a ridiculous amount of money saved in order to have a child. Allah has opened so many doors for us right after our daughter was born and this has been observed by many other parents as well.
2) It is not socially acceptable to describe the size or consistency of your baby’s dirty diaper in public.
3) Parenting while plugged in is an oxymoron. We’ve been trying to be mindful of how often we are with our child physically, but not mentally. Children will know that they will soon be competing with these devices for your attention.
4) Let grandparents be grandparents. No matter how much you’ve worked at de-cluttering your apartment, be ready for the onslaught once the grandparents come to visit, and remember to thank them with a genuine smile.
5) Children have a curiosity about the world around them that we somehow have lost as we have grown older. From observing their own hands in wonder to feeling the texture of new food, babies teach us to find the extraordinary in our everyday happenings.
6) You don’t need as much sleep as you think you need.
7) A child will bring you the most happiness and yet test your patience reserves beyond what you ever expected. Remember to ask Allah for help.
8 ) When compiling a baby registry, do not listen to any of the retail staff. All a newborn really needs are a couple of onesies, diapers, a blanket, and lots of love.
10) Even if you think what you are recording on video is uneventful, you’ll find a reason to laugh when you re-watch it later.
11) You will no longer own any clean clothes. Laundry triples when having a child. What’s a little spit up between you and your child anyway?
12) The treadmill works wonders for putting babies to sleep.
13) Babies don’t care about $500 strollers, name-brand clothing, or chew toys that talk back. They definitely won’t remember them either.
14) Just as babies need parents to guide them, we need Allah to guide us.
15) Baby feet are awesome, even if they sometimes smell like vinegar.
16) Thank-you mom and dad.
By Marwa Aly and Ahmed Eid
He likes to take pictures, she likes to write. Together they are trying to be mindful muslims and parents to their super awesome daughter.