In 1943, a volcano began growing out of a cornfield in San Juan Parangaricutiro, Michoacán, Mexico. It erupted for eight years, growing to a height of 336 meters and burying the town under layers of lava. The only building still visible amid the destruction is a church—half buried in the surrounding earth, half reaching for the heavens. A rather apt visual metaphor for our times . . .