It’s Friday. I don’t feel like talking about Catwoman. In fact, I plan to spend the weekend lounging around and having cold beers and rich desserts with friends… obeying God’s harsh order to rest on the Sabbath.
So, rather than griping about the news or the movies, let’s hear from someone gifted in raising spirits:
G.K. CHESTERTON IS IN THE HOUSE!
- A good novel tells us the truth about it’s hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.
- A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possible be alive.
- A liberated woman is one who rises up and says to her menfolk, ‘I will not be dictated to,’ and proceeds to become a stenographer.
- Angels fly because they take themselves lightly.
- By experts in poverty I do not mean sociologists, but poor men.
- Democracy means government by the uneducated, while aristocracy means government by the badly educated.
- Do not free the camel of the burden of his hump; you may be freeing him from being a camel.
- Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.
- Half a truth is better than no politics.
- I believe in getting into hot water. I think it keeps you clean.
- I’ve searched all the parks in all the cities and found no statues of committees.
- Journalism consists largely in saying ”Lord James is dead” to people who never knew Lord James was alive.
Have a great weekend. It’s 95 in Seattle, and it’s still early. It’s gonna be 103 in Portland, where my family is. How hot is it where you are? And by the way, where the heck are ya?