Comment on this post and enter a draw to win a prize!
I read this book a while ago and thought I would write a quick post around its subject. The anacronym title, SHAM, stands for Self Help and Actualization Movement. The author, Salerno, writes a scathing critique of the self-help movement and its damaging effects on society. Although some admit problems with some of his method and conclusions, I suspect that he certainly has an argument that is for the most part valid and worth a listen. There are some facts there about Dr. Phil and peers that would amaze you. So, half tongue-in-cheek, I thought I would write this post on the “10 Confessions of A Self-Help Guru“. Here they are:
- I don’t want to cure you, but make you dependent.
- I don’t want you to buy one of my books, but all of them.
- I really don’t want you to help yourself, or you wouldn’t need me.
- I will always interpret your disagreement with me as a form of psychosis.
- Almost all the self-help books say the same thing, just in different ways.
- I may see you as a person, but I mostly see you as a consumer.
- I am just as screwed up as you are. I just can afford to hide it better.
- I’m making so much money off of you that it would make you sick!
- Instead of empowering you, I am weakening you into a helpless victim.
- I don’t want you to relate the fact that self-help is growing in North America proportionately with its illness.
Tell you what, as my personal way of helping you and making you dependent on me, I’m going to give away this original watercolor painting of mine, measuring 2.5″x3.5″, worth $50. All you have to do is comment on this post and your name will be entered into the draw this next Sunday at midnight Atlantic Time. Although you can comment as much as you want, your name will only be entered into the draw once. The winner will be announced Monday morning. Now, HELP your SELF and win a painting! Here it is: