It’s been a couple of weeks since Kristin and I got back from England. So far we’re still plotting our return. Something about that place just sort of gets under your skin in a way that makes the suburbs feel a little dessicated. Just a few faves:
– Ate fish & chips at “The Eagle and Child” in Oxford. It’s the pub where the Inklings hung out during the 30s and 40s.
– Cask Ale: all other beers are, in some sense, kidding themselves.
– Henley on the Thames and a little pub called “Angel on the Bridge.” Another pub in Henley called the Argyll.
– The war room – Churchill’s secret underground bunker from which he ran Englands military in WWII.
– Winchester Cathedral – pretty stunning place.
– The Green Man in Hurst, Berkshire.
– Castles, Towers, Bridges, Ships, Palaces, Cathedrals, Clocks, Parliment, pubs…