It’s been a couple of weeks since Kristin and I got back from England. So far we’re still plotting our return. Something about that place just sort of gets under your skin in a way that makes the suburbs feel a little dessicated. Just a few faves:
- Ate fish & chips at “The Eagle and Child” in Oxford. It’s the pub where the Inklings hung out during the 30s and 40s.
- Spent a day in Oxford and saw some incredible architecture & atmosphere.
- Cask Ale: all other beers are, in some sense, kidding themselves.
- Henley on the Thames and a little pub called “Angel on the Bridge.” Another pub in Henley called the Argyll.
- The war room – Churchill’s secret underground bunker from which he ran Englands military in WWII.
- Winchester Cathedral – pretty stunning place.
- The Green Man in Hurst, Berkshire.
- Castles, Towers, Bridges, Ships, Palaces, Cathedrals, Clocks, Parliment, pubs…