I can’t quite bring myself to thank Melanie Bettenelli for bringing the following video to my attention.
In no particular order, my thoughts:
1. This song should be taken out and shot.
2. Oh boy, Shane McGowan! Show us your teeth! Show us your teeth!
3. Who are The Priests, now?
4. I don’t understand people who (apprently) say things like “Catholic priests shouldn’t be associating with that guy — he’s a perv and a drug addict.” Hey, ever heard of the New Testament? Sheesh.
5. Also, music is music. I don’t understand how people can make aesthetic choices based on the morals of the artist. Music either sounds good or it doesn’t. I guess I can see boycotting someone really disgusting because you don’t want them to have your money, but that what pirating is for. (Oh, I’m just kidding. Pirating is stealing, and I’m against it, and don’t know how to do it anyway.)
6. What is it with this song? “Little drummer boy?” What little drummer boy? You played your drums for a newborn? Par-rum-pa-pum-what? What kind of drum makes that sound? 100% terrible! There is nothing and no one that can make this song listenable. My stars.
7. Who thinks it’s a good idea to put together polished, trained voices with someone whose prodigious talent is from a completely other planet? It makes everyone sound bad. It doesn’t blend, it doesn’t make a new sound; it just clashes. Bleah. Never understood that. Like that disastrous combination of Freddie Mercury and David Bowie in “Under Pressure”
8. Oh gosh, this all happened before, didn’t it?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z88c0lnvBU
Just because this guy sounds good and that guy sounds good, does not mean they will sound good together. I guess it’s good that they didn’t ruin a decent song, anyway.
9. Speaking of ruining something decent. I’m sorry, is this Lent? Why are we being punished this way? It’s not a penitential season, it’s only Advent.
No, it’s NOT even Advent yet. You know what? Fine. As long as it’s The Indeterminate Holiday Season for Singing, here is one of my favorite Shane McGowan songs.
I’m not trying to be a contrarian — I really love this song! “I could have been someone./Well, so could anyone!”
Well, happy Thanksgiving, or whatever, everyone!