In this episode of The Cordial Catholic Podcast, I’m joined by Dr. James Tonkowich, popular commentator on religion in the public square and a convert to Catholicism to share his essay, “How to Not Become Catholic in 9 Easy Steps.”
In aplum and charity, Dr. Tonkowich unpacks his own journey as a Presbyterian pastor into the Catholic Church and shares 9 “rules” to follow if you want to avoid his fate:
- Assume that all Catholics are idiots
- Get all your information about the Catholic faith second hand
- Avoid being “Deep in History”
- Do not read the Church Fathers
- Affirm the “Great Tradition” but don’t ask what’s included
- If you’re Evangelical–ignore the sin of schism
- If you’re a Mainline Protestant–assume the schism is someone else’s fault
- Believe the Catholic Church and the Bible don’t mix
- Keep insisting that Catholicism is a grace-free, works-based religion
Listen to Dr. Tonkowich share his rules on the podcast.
Visit Wyoming Catholic College for more information about their programs, including the incredible (and free!) online courses they’re offering coming up.
Listen to Dr. Tonkowich on The After Dinner Scholar. A podcast featuring faculty, board members, advisors, and guests talking about their books and the ideas that make up with curriculum at Wyoming Catholic College.
Send your feedback to email@example.com.
This podcast is 100% listener supported. For more information about sponsoring the show, keeping this podcast going, and helping me to continue to deliver quality content please visit the Patreon page. All of your support is welcomed, even $1/mo helps.
Listen to this episode here, or below.