New statistics have been released giving the largest Protestant denominations. We Missouri Synod Lutherans are #11 with 2.3 million members. That’s more than the Episcopalians (#12 with 2 milllion), though they get all the attention. If you add up the two biggest Lutheran groups (the ELCA being #5 with 4.5 million), we’d come in at #3. That’s lots more than explicitly Calvinist groups, though they have seem to have the most influence. Then again, the denomination of not having a denomination has some 12.2 million members, which would make it #2.
See the list of the top 15 after the jump. What can we conclude from this list, if anything?
1. Southern Baptist Convention: 16.2 million members
2. The United Methodist Church: 7.8 million members
3. The Church of God in Christ: 5.5 million members
4. National Baptist Convention: 5.0 million members5. Evangelical Lutheran Church, U.S.A.: 4.5 million members
6. National Baptist Convention of America: 3.5 million members
7. Assemblies of God: 2.9 million members
8. Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.): 2.8 million members
9. African Methodist Episcopal Church: 2.5 million members
10. National Missionary Baptist Convention of America: 2.5 million members
11. The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS): 2.3 million members
12. The Episcopal Church: 2.0 million members
13. Churches of Christ: 1.6 million members
14. Pentecostal Assemblies of the World: 1.5 million members
15. The African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church: 1.4 million members