Whether you voted for him or not, Christians have an opportunity and obligation to pray for our next president, Donald J. Trump. “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness” (1 Timothy 3:1-2). Here are five things to pray for our new president:
- Pray that Donald Trump would be given wisdom and knowledge. “Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?” (2 Chronicles 1:1).
- Pray for Donald Trump’s health and safety. “So that they may offer sacrifices pleasing to the God of heaven and pray for the well-being of the king and his sons” (Ezra 6:10).
- Pray that Donald Trump will execute justice for all people. “For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer” (Romans 13:4).
- Pray that Donald Trump will pursue peace and prosperity for America. “Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper” (Jeremiah 29:7).
- Pray that God’s will would be done through Donald Trump. “In the Lord’s hand the king’s heart is a stream of water that he channels toward all who please him” (Proverbs 21:1).