This post is a follow up to the message I preached this morning at Mt. Vernon. The BIG Idea was: The better the teacher, the better the learning. Who are you learning from? Here’s a list of what I’m choosing to learn from today.
BIBLE – my personal Bible reading plan has me reading the Old Testament once a year and the New Testament four times a year. Here’s what I’m reading this next week:
- Sunday – Proverbs 11-12, 1 Corinthians 7-9
- Monday – Proverbs 13-14, 1 Corinthians 10-12
- Tuesday – Proverbs 15-16, 1 Corinthians 13-14
- Wednesday – Proverbs 17-18, 1 Corinthians 15-16
- Thursday – Proverbs 19-20, 2 Corinthians 1-3
- Friday – Proverbs 21-22, 2 Corinthians 4-6
- Saturday – Proverbs 23-24, 2 Corinthians 7-9
BOOKS – I’m always reading books, trying to learn more life lessons from those who are a little further down the road. Here’s a sampling of recent non-fiction books I’ve read:
- The Tipping Point, Malcolm Gladwell
- Presidential Courage, Michael Beschloss
- Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand
- Great by Choice, by Jim Collins
- Platform, by Michael Hyatt
BLOGS – I’m now a blog junkie, learning snippets of truth in real time from today’s great leaders. Here are a few that I subscribe to:
- thomrainer.com – Thom Rainer, president of LifeWay Christian Resources
- learnings @ leadership network – resource for church leaders
- The Gospel Coalition – mix of today’s top young religious (scholarly) bloggers
- edstetzer.com – The LifeWay research blog. This guy is smart
- perrynoble.com – Great words of wisdom from a successful pastor
- Andy Stanley Leadership Podcast – North Point Community Church
- Mosaic – Erwin McManus in Los Angeles. He’s very philosophical, but will always give you a new point of view.
- Pinelake Church – based out of Jackson, MS. Largest church in Mississippi, I believe.
- Willow Creek Church – the teaching pastor is an Australian guy, which makes sense, because the church is in Chicago.
MUSIC – Here’s what I listen to in place of Katy Perry and Lady Gaga
- Radio Swiss Classic – This is actually what I listen to the most. It’s a free continuous classical musical station based out of Switzerland that I listen to through Itunes Radio. No joke. There’s nothing better than hearing a sweet lady telling you in a sultry German voice about an upcoming symphony. (Full disclosure: I don’t speak German)
- Hillsong United – great worship band
- Passion – great worship music
- Chris Tomlin – he is the chosen one
- Mutemath – edgy Christian band that I play to freak out my staff sometimes
Not sure how scary this peek into my world was, but this is what I put into my brain to help me become the person God created me to be.