In light of the recent #collegeadmissionscandal, in this week’s video blog, I give five topics we need to discuss with our teens related to college.
- Tell your teen to research colleges on his or her own.
- Give your teen ownership of the application process.
- Talk about what you can afford to pay.
- Encourage your teen to investigate alternatives to college, including community colleges, gap year programs, and trade or technical schools.
- Share your own education path, including how that helped (or didn’t help!) get you jobs.
For more on preparing kids for adulthood, listen to my podcast on the topic.