*Do not use, burn, ingest, or place on the skin any herbs or oils that you are allergic to! If you are uncertain how you will react to an herb, oil, or resin just don’t use it!
Winter holidays can be fun celebrations, but they can also be difficult reminders of challenging family dynamics. However, you don’t have to step into winter gatherings unprepared with only your fingers crossed, hoping for the best. Instead, use basic practical magick to help ease tensions and make family gatherings easier. It doesn’t matter the holiday, these tips will serve to bring peaceful home magick into your holidays.
- Chamomile Tea Spray – make a hot cup of chamomile tea, let it cool and put it into a spray bottle. Add two tablespoons of Florida Water. Use this as a spray around your home before guests arrive. Make sure that you get the corners.
- Rosemary Plant – if you are going to a family member’s house bring them a small potted rosemary plant as a gift. Write the word peace seven times on a small piece of paper and place it in the bottom of the pot. Encourage your host to keep the plant in the dining room. You can also substitute a lavender plant.
- Lavender Sachets – make small bags of lavender to give as gifts to your family members. Give them out early in the gathering.
- Peaceful Bath – before and/or after your family gathering take a peaceful bath. Make a tea of 2 parts catnip, 2 parts jasmine, and one part elder flower. Add that to a full bathtub and let yourself soak. Let the water clear out any anger, frustration, or anxiety.
- Pine Resin – before the gathering burn pine resin as a cleansing to clear the space. Then place a dot of Peace Oil (recipe below) in each of the corners of your home. Repeat this process after all your guests have left. If there is a particularly difficult moment, repeat adding the oil dots in the corners as soon as possible.
- Lavender and Rosemary Sprigs – tie several small pieces of rosemary and lavender together. Place one in each corner of the house.
You can also make a Peace Oil that can be used in a variety of ways. You can wear this oil or use it to anoint things; like candles on the dining table. This oil can be used to anoint door handles that guests will touch or put into a diffuser. Peace oil can also be used to anoint the underside chairs in the dining area or the underside of plates.
- Start with a clean, sterile glass jar with a fitting lid.
- Put 1/8 cup of jojoba oil into the jar.
- Add 3 drops of chamomile essential oil, 1 drop jasmine essential oil, 5 drops lavender essential oil, and 3 drops rosemary essential oil.
- Swirl the essential oils into the jojoba base.
- Keep the lid tight and store it in a cool dry place.
- Use as needed to bring peace.