The Samhain season can, if you are lucky, be full of joy and blessings from the ancestors. The space between the worlds is thin at this time and their powerful influence can be felt. Many pagan practitioners use this time to host dumb suppers, seances, or other spiritual means of contacting those who have passed. But what do you do if there are ancestors you don’t want showing up ? Not everyone had a nice Nana who made cookies and sang songs. Where do you turn if Bad Grandpa is real? Unpleasant relatives are the stuff of nightmare, and unfortunately horrid reality, and after their death sometimes it can get worse. Here are six tips for dealing with Grandpa Creepy, Auntie Crazy, or whoever you don’t want to join the party, it should probably be 666 tips, but we can start with these. The first thing you should do if you think you may have a problem with someone in your ancestral history is perform some kind of divination. This can be on your own, or with the assistance of a psychic professional. The following simple suggestions will help to protect your space, yourself, and your ceremonies for your other ancestors.
- Slam the Doors. Slamming the doors while simple, is a traditional method for banishing negativity in many traditions. Both the sound and the gesture signify to the universe that you are closed to unwanted energy.
- Salt the site. Salt has been used as a simple protection spell for centuries. Think about the custom of throwing salt over your shoulder, which is one of it’s many manifestations. As a regular earth centered protection on your home you can line the windows, doorways and other entry points into your home with salt.
- Prepare yourself before during and after any serious ancestor working. This can be done with a protection bath, or you made need something more intense like work with soul retrieval. This can happen when you are connected to unwanted energy.
- Don’t ask for trouble, and don’t invite problems into your home. Society at large, and the media specifically like to demonize contact with the spirit world. Fortunes have been built on it. For some the attraction of unpleasant darkness is strong. But as the saying goes “Don’t start none, won’t be none.” Try to surround yourself with positive energy and the results will be blessed.
- Before beginning any ancestral practice consider using Florida Water, smudging, or doing whatever other protection blessing you like. Try to incorporate
elements of water, air and fire into these blessings, that in conjunction with salt will make sure you are elementally covered.
- Build up the good. Foster your connections with the ancestors who did have a positive influence in your life. Visit their gravesite if possible. If they were particularly good at math, and you aren’t maybe turn to them with assistance in areas like numerology or other number based systems. If they read cards, consider asking them for guidance with the tarot. If they were in law enforcement ask them for help in protecting you, not only from any unwanted ancestors, but in all areas of your life. The possibilities are unique to your situation.
This list is just a start, please like and share if you have found it helpful. May this Samhain season bless you and your ancestors !