Luckily most witches know that everything is magickal in it’s own special way. Spiritual people often combine all the elements to bring about positive change and blessing in their lives. If you are just starting out working with herbs it can be difficult to know where to begin. There are hundreds of herbs available to us, each with it’s own unique properties and energy. Herbs are a lot like people in that way. Unfortunately, most of us don’t have the money or the space to stock their shelves with absolutely everything out there, however there are a few things that we just can’t do without. While putting together this list I hope to provide a well rounded and generalized sampling that will get you through most situations that could arise in everyday or everynight life.
9 Absolutely Must Have Herbs For Your Magick
- Basil – Basil is a great all purpose herb that can be used for both blessing and curse removal if you use it correctly. It grows easily in almost anyone’s garden or window-box and can also be tied together with other herbs to make a blessing wand or scourge.
- Mint – Anyone who has grown mint in their garden knows this plant could almost be considered a weed, hearty and powerful it’s benefits are numerous. Mint can be used in spells for healing, love, money, and psychic power. You can choose from peppermint, spearmint, catmint, and many others. Consequently each have their own specific vibrations, so take those into consideration along with your own personal preferences when stocking your magickal cabinet.
- Lavender– This delicate purple beauty is a great addition to your spells and ritual work. It can be used for calm, peace, knowledge, and clarity. Lavender is said to vibrate with the element of air.
- Sage– Sage is a staple herb in Native American spiritual workings, and has been adopted by many Pagan practitioners as well.
- Myrrh– Myrrh is an ancient herb that has been used over the ages to provide protection, connection to the divine, and sacred blessing. It’s history is as exotic as it’s name and in my post Magickal Uses of Myrrh I write, “Even the Queen of Sheba is said to have used myrrh and it’s magickally enticing properties to her advantage.” It’s energy vibrates with the moon and can be used in many lunar spells and formulas.
- Rose-Sweet, sensual roses are found in both the hearts and minds of history. Roses will bring love, and healing to your magick.
- Sea Salt– While not technically an herb, I include Sea salt here because it is a vital ingredient for protecting
your home and yourself.
- Rosemary– This herb is used frequently in the religion of La Regla Lucumi, also referred to as Santeria. It is a primary component in baths, floorwashes, and herbal mixes. Use this to provide protection, and financial success. Clearly rosemary can be used in a wide variety of magicks.
- Dill – Check out my recent video post Lilith’s Garden Dill. There I talk about how you can use this for everything from communication to healing. Please follow the link to learn more.
Obviously this list is just a beginning, what herbs do you feel like you can’t live without? I’d love to hear about it in the comment section below ! And please if you have enjoyed what your read here please remember to share, share, share !