The ESV Study Bible (ESVSB) launch date of October 15th is approaching fast. The Study Bible team has been busy sharing samples and features online to entice us. Their goal is to help people know what’s inside the Study Bible and how it might best serve them.
From an e-mail sent out by the Study Bible team, here is a summary of what is available at this time:
Free Book Introductions and Sample Chapters Online
In addition to the previous posts from Jonah, the Psalms, and Revelation, the introductions have now been uploaded,including sample chapters, for the following books:
Free Articles Online
A number of the fifty articles that will be in the ESVSB have now been uploaded:
- Overview of the Bible: A Survey of the History of Salvation, by Vern Poythress
- Reading the Bible
- Reading the Bible Theologically, by J. I. Packer
- Reading the Bible as Literature, by Leland Ryken
- Reading the Bible in Prayer and Communion with God, by John Piper
- Reading the Bible for Personal Application, by David Powlison
- Reading the Bible for Preaching and Public Worship, by R. Kent Hughes
- The Bible and World Religions
- Contemporary Judaism, by Marvin Wilson
- Islam, by Timothy Tennent
City Plan of Rome
The Introduction to the Book of Romans contains a city plan of ancient Rome, which has been posted online, along with an excerpt of some of the information on Rome found in that introduction. Other city plans that you’ll find in the ESVSB include the cities of Ur, Nineveh (see page 9 of the Jonah PDF), Babylon, Jericho, Corinth, Ephesus, and Philippi.
Interviews With Contributors
- Andy Naselli interviewed David Reimer about the book of Ezekiel (blog interview)
- Michael Spencer interviewed David Powlison about the application of Scripture (blog interview)
- Colin Adams interviewed Raymond C. Ortlund Jr. about the book of Isaiah (blog interview)
- Andy Naselli interviewed Clinton Arnold about the book of Colossians (blog interview)
- Andy Naselli interviewed S. M. Baugh about the book of Ephesians (blog interview)
- Beginning with Moses interviewed Vern Poythress about biblical theology and seeing Christ in the Old Testament (blog interview)
- Owen Strachan interviewed Harold Netland about pluralism and world religions (audio, mp3, approximately 45 minutes)
A video page has been launched for the ESVSB.
Some of you have probably already seen the five-minute YouTube preview, but that was just part of a thirteen-minute video that goes into more depth. Each of the nine chapters from the video is available individually. Some of you might be especially interested in this one-minute overview of the Online Study Bible, which hasn’t been discussed much yet.
All the videos are available to download as high-quality mp4s.
The following video is an interview with Wayne Grudem, J. I. Packer, and Lane Dennis of Crossway, and is hosted by Justin Taylor:
If you want to interact with others about the ESVSB, you can now join a Facebook group.
If you live in North America you can pre-order from the ESV Study Bible website or from Amazon.com using the following links, which seem to be offering significant discounts:
If you live in Europe, then visit Amazon.co.uk using the following links: