This weeks question:
Do you have a Book/Video Game/Movie/whatever that made you weep? Like literally start bawling from the sadness or the beauty of it?
I have a confession to make… I cry. I have been known to weep at the sight of a sunset, or during the chorus of a song, and often while just sitting in prayer or at mass. I am a sucker for moments of beauty and grace. Yes, in fact crying is something I actually enjoy. So what makes me cry? I guess I will take each of the categories in turn. This list is by no means comprehensive.
- The giving tree – I cried recently reading this book to my son.
- Horton Hatches an Egg – also with my son.
- The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe – also with my son.. spending time with him already pulls at my heartstrings, and I think reading things aloud really gets me since I have to embody the voice of the characters.
- Désirée’s Baby, Beyond the Bayou, and Ma’ame Pélagie by Kate Chopin
- Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoevsky
- Everything that rises must converge – Flannery O’Conner (the whole collection)
- That Distant Land – Wendell Barry
Video Games – I don’t really play a lot of video games… the only one I really touch is Minecraft, but there was one game that I think made me teary eyed once:
- Electroplankton – sometimes I was able to get some really beautiful music with this game
- UP – the opening sequence gets me every time
- Love it or hate it, I wept through the entire Passion of the Christ when I first saw it
Ok this wasn’t listed, but music moves me to tears more than really anything else. This is a very limited selection, there are at least another hundred songs that have driven me to tears.
- The Gloria in the mass… gets me all the time
- The chorus “You are my inheritance oh lord” in the Easter Vigil
- the USA national anthem
- Sufjan Stevens – Seven Swans
- Simon and Garfunkel – Bridge Over Troubled Water
- The Alleluia in the mass (particularly during the Easter Vigil)
- Brahm’s German Requium
- Ave Maria by Schubert
- Nessun Dorma from Turandot
- “Ich habe genug” by Bach
So what media makes you Cry? Tell me in the comments below!