EWTN releases new statement on Fr. Corapi — UPDATED

Patrick Madrid has the scoop:

We are aware that many of our supporters are disappointed in EWTN’s decision to remove Father John Corapi’s programs from the Network during his administrative leave.  We too are greatly disappointed that EWTN had to make this difficult decision. We can  assure you that it was made with much prayer and careful discernment.

The fact is that Father John’s own religious community has placed him on administrative leave and his capacity to function publicly as a priest has been suspended during the investigation of the charges against him.  This was officially communicated to all of the bishops of the country in a statement saying that, “…Fr. Corapi has been placed on administrative leave and has had all of his priestly faculties removed.”

In EWTN’s thirty years of existence, the Network has never knowingly aired programming featuring any priest whose priestly faculties have been suspended. The Network has always responded consistently and immediately in such situations by removing such programs from the air.  We are obliged to do so in obedience to the discipline of the Church.

Father John has long been a friend of EWTN and many of us have worked closely with him throughout the years.  He is a tremendously gifted preacher who has led many souls to Christ.  We are doing exactly as he has asked and supporting him and everyone involved in the situation in the best way possible, through our prayers.

It is also our prayer that this matter will be brought to a speedy resolution so that Father John’s programs can be returned to the airwaves.

This strikes me as sensible and sensitive, and in keeping with canon law.  If a priest’s faculties are suspended, it means he cannot celebrate the sacraments publicly, wear clerical attire, or publicly present himself as a priest.  If he can’t do that now, he shouldn’t be doing it on a broadcast, even if it was taped when he was a priest in good standing.

Let’s continue to pray for a swift and positive resolution to this whole matter, for the sake of Fr. Corapi — and for the sake of all his faithful viewers, too.

UPDATE: On Friday, one week after Fr. Corapi was put on administrative leave, his media company has posted a statement on his website.

Comments

1. And don’t forget, for the sake of his accusers as well. God be with all involved in this situation.

2. Hmmmm…. …”Much prayer?” What about 15 minutes of prayer?

3. christine says:

And – don’t forget about ‘those who have eyes to see’ and ‘those who have ears to hear’ Fr Corpi is NOT guilty. Why has he not had an allegation like his before? In all these years – not one slip? & all of a sudden – he is this drug addicted womanizer? Not just one indescretion – but he is supposed to be king of the party!? I don’t think so. Those who know Father – KNOW his words come from his heart – they have the ‘ears to hear.’ God Bless all involved – yes – and may God forgive the accusers and through our Blessed Mother Mary protect Fr Corapi from them. God be with us in these strange times.

4. St. Padre Pio was falsely accused, may his prayers of intercession bring a swift recovery to this situation.
    St. Padre Pio PRAY for all concerned and all of us!

5. The closer one gets to God the greater the attacks by satan.

6. His accuser was let go because she fell in love with him and forced his hand to fire her.

She’s a spurned woman; hell-bent on a path of (his) destruction.

In the end, he’ll be exonerated and she’ll have to answer to God for not only her sins against him, but for the scandal she’ll have caused for all those faithful Catholics out there.

Pray, pray, pray.

Our Lady, Queen of Peace,
    pray for us.
    Amen.

7. Carolyn (initials shown only "cw") says:

Having had Fr. Corapi as a mission priest here and a close family member having arranged for his twice visiting their city, I cannot say I know Fr. well, but I was profoundly impressed with the Fr. Corapi I met and his words of encouragement were what helped me to proceed with a special challenge at our parish.
    I can’t begin to express my sadness over this recent situation and it concerns me that this is the way such things are handled. Could it be that if enough adults write similar letters, that we could end up with no Masses being said in many churches?
    Without a doubt, I believe that if this dear priest had fallen again, he of all people, would have acknowledged it seeing as he is already so familiar with the unfathomable mercy and healing love that would await him. Contrary to what even many clergy might believe…Fr. Corapi is a humble servant of Christ and Jesus will bring the highest good from all of this suffering.
    Our job now is only to pray & trust in His care of all concerned.

8. What I don’t agree with EWTN is why treat him like he is already guilty why don’t they wait for the investigation to take its course. By taking out his shows that speaks louder than words that he is guilty. To me it is hypocritical.
    So all his talks become invalid because of this too?
    Shame on you EWTN!

9. Well Deacon…
    Jealousy and resentment drove the Pharisees to
    do what they did. He is well known, to all who watch EWTN around the world.
    If priests dont have access to T.V.’s then maybe they don’t know of him. ( re your previous thread)
    While Fr. Corapi’s programmes are suspended – the faithful who are hungry for good solid church teachings with a direct non nonsense approach will be all the poorer. No doubt EWTN’s ratings will fall a bit too.
    My old freind calls him “Father Karate” – she never can get his name right!
    My hope is that his innocence will be proved and that he will come out fighting again.

10. theresa mason-rogers says:

I would like to say that I agree with Mikey. Theresa

11. I believe Fr. Corapi is innocent!!!
    I believe Satan is after him in such a huge way because he is such a wonderful Priest who does have the ‘gift of Apostolic Preaching.’
    Look at what St. Padre Pio went through.
    And Fr. Corapi is correct when he stated that the system is so flawed and hurts the Priests!
    Recently, I read that an L.A. Attorney along with a retired F.B.I agent discovered after investigating, that about ‘half’ of the accusations against Priests were FALSE!
    Where was the ‘media’ with that story?!
    I love when Father Corapi tells the Faithful to “Never, never, never give up!”
    I hope Father Corapi gets the BEST Jewish Canon Lawyer!
    Praying for him and for all concerned to the powerful Mother of God.
    I want to see him back on EWTN…so happy I recorded his shows. :)
    Tara

12. ThirstforTruth says:

I have read with sadness the second announcement from EWTN. While I quess there is nothing else they could do
    but suspend Father Corapi’s programming during the period of investigation….but if Mother Angelica were still in command I am sure she would have had a “few choice words” about what is going on…and we would not be in doubt about where she placed her loyalty. Also I did not
    read in the bulletin from the Superior General of S.O.L.T.
    that they were suspending Father’s priestly duties…they
    simpley used the phrase that he was being placed on Administrative Leave. I wonder if the suspension of priestly faculties is the same thing?????

13. ThirstforTruth says:

I wanted to add to my previous comment..about a comment you used “when he was a priest in good standing”…was that
    necesarry to your point? After all, in the end of the day it is only how Father Corapi’s standing is with his Lord and Master….and so far heaven has not made any such pronouncement….in fact I picture that great cloud of witnesses ( who know the truth ) as championing him
    on toward the “finish line”…much the way Father has always encouraged and directed his listeners! What a shame to silence the truth! Even for what we hope is only a short period of time!

14. Brenda Massey says:

Father Corapi has been through it all, He is not likely to give up. With the help of St. Michael and the grace of God, he will be fine. I will be praying for you Father. May God bless you. Get behind him Satan!
    Brenda Massey

15. Dee Berger says:

We must remember that we are fighting a battle of good and evil, a battle between principalities and powers. With everything happening in the world today, Satan has chose to take out a good Shepard so that the sheep will be scattered even more. We must pray that Fr. Corapi, his accuser and his loyal faithful will have this settled as fast as possible. This is causing so much damage that some of the damage will not be able to be repaired. We must also pray that Father will be able to receive God’s will in his life.

Thy Kingdom come Thy Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

God Bless you all and Peace be to you all.

16. Florence Wen says:

I will not be sending my monthly donation to EWTN until Father Corapi is reinstated.

17. We do not believe that Father Corapi has done anything wrong. With all the good he has done,we can see the devil has been working overtime to ruin him. We are praying for the person or persons to come clean and restore him to his people.God bless father Corapi and keep him safe/

18. I think that we as Catholics need to stand up and start fighting for our priest. They are under attack. I have worked around priest and I can say how people get mad for every little thing that doesn’t go their way. The first thing they do is start rumors and then demand they get removed. We all need to get together in our churches and start praying for Father Corap, our priest, our leaders,and the Catholic church itself. Just like we can fill gyms, auditoriums, and stadiums to follow our favorite teams or our favorite fan. It is time to fill our churches and start getting on our knees and pray for Father Corapi and all priest who are being accused at this time. We must not ignore this kind of attack. But we all must remember that God is always in control. Father Corapi I want you to know that my prayers are with you. Many soilders are fighting for you. God Bless and may St. Michael the ARchangel protect you and guide you. I

19. Mary Thomas says:

I hear that many of our priests in Africa have girlfriends, or secret wives, I knew a monsignor once who was rumored to be “taking care” of an alcoholic’s wife and kids. He left them most of his possessions when he died. I went to confession with him a few times, he made me feel forgiven, he made me feel that God loved me, I suppose it was because he knew sin.

Father Corapi, is a truly gifted orator and catechist, I am sorry that he had to take this public fall and I hope he is able to keep his faith through this difficulty.

Meanwhile, the child sex abuse scandal, coupled with Corapi’s fame have led to this reaction on the part of the Church. I guess we will be like the Protestants now and end up with priests who spend most of their time managing their appearances of holiness, only the truly holy (sinless, not many) and hypocrites can outlast this kind of scrutiny.

If the kind of hypervigilance and judgmentality we see among us today was working in Jerusalem 2,000 years ago, Peter would have been kicked out of the group for betraying Jesus at the courtyard. Sin is sin, we are all guilty, most of us can’t cross the parking lot of the church after leaving confession without at least a small one crossing our minds.

Investigate, send him to treatment of some sort, give him a public penance and call it a day.

20. Bill Foley says:

From Bill Foley.

In light of the Fr. Corapi situation I would like to offer some historical facts regarding bishops so that the faithful Catholics that read this forum will keep their spiritual balance and understand that the actions or lack of action by bishops and/ or by priests will not affect their salvation. One is responsible only for oneself, and one should not commit spiritual suicide—leaving the Catholic Church—because of an episcopal or priestly scandal.

The Catholic News Agency published an article, “New Phase Begins in Canonization Cause of The First African-American Priest,” which was put on the news headlines of the EWTN website the on February 24, 2011. The following is from this source:

“A priest in a German parish (in Quincy, Illinois) told him (Father Augustan Tolton, an African-American priest), in no uncertain terms, that he should restrict himself to blacks. He took this complaint to the local bishop—and was reprimanded. . . . . He was told that if he could not obey, it was best that he leave town.”

This occurred at the end of the 19th century. This bishop’s action was not unusual for the time because most of the bishops in the United States were not confronting the cultural evil of segregation and ill-treatment of the Negro race.

Pinchas Lapide, an Israeli diplomat, wrote Three Popes and The Jews, a book that gives detailed proof that Pope Pius XII was responsible for saving approximately 860,000 members of the Jewish race. Page 239 of this monograph reveals the following episcopal misdeeds.

“Monsignor Groeber, the Archbishop of Freiburg, not only joined the Nazi Elite Corps of the SS in 1933 as a ‘promotive member,’ but in letter dated June 7, 1946, tried to justify his flagrant self-identification with Hitler’s regime to the International Tribunal of the Nuremberg War Crimes Trial.”

“In June 1936 Bishop Berning of Osnabrueck visited a number of concentration camps and reminded the inmates ‘of the duty of obedience and fidelity towards people and state, that was demanded by their religious faith.’ In a talk to the guards the Archbishop was reported in the press ‘to have praised their work in the camp and to have ended his visit with three ‘Siegheil!’ for Fuehrer and fatherland.”

“When on October 1, 1938, German troops marched into the Sudetenland, the German Catholic Bishops’ Conference sent a telegram of appreciation to Hitler, ‘respectfully to tender congratulations and thanks, and to order a festive peal of bells on Sunday.’”

21. clement evans says:

We can all see the hand of satan in this attack against
    this Holy man, a saint in our midst we should thank God
    for him, and pray for him and all concerned in all of this .
    let us be careful and not take the side of satan in this;
    our support for fr corapi and ewtn should not only continue,
    but be all the stonger and let good triumph over evil.

22. I don’t know the rules in regard to accusations, but you can shut down all the church’s doing that…anyone can write a letter. I hate hoping that they wouldn’t have done such a thing unless they knew something wasn’t right (like any job, close friends/contacts know more than others) They could have ignored the letter as one of a disturbed person or investigated it secretly. He didn’t do anything that isn’t forgivable, wasn’t the first priest to have an affair (IF he did) and not the first with alcohol or drug problems. He talks of a priest friiend he carried out of a crack house.

I pray he is innocent and his clearing of charges helps others faith, but I also think the accuser should be taken to task. If it is true, there has to be more than that man, other witness’s and pictures, etc. I don’t see the rashness with this when he wasn’t accused of being with a child. Many priests have been accused locally and not suspended of affairs….is it because he is on TV ?

Another priest was accused and gone from a Pro-life group, it hasn’t been a good year for things like this.

23. Sandy Ware says:

EWTN
    I have the honor to meet him personally. I am a fairly new convert and Fr. Is a big part of why I am now Catholic. I’m heartfully sorry to hear the this station has turned their back ( Bishops also) on this great man!!!! It makes me question what you really stand for. I was always taught that someone is innocent until PROVEN guilty. What happened to justice here?? By you turning your backs you are,in my eyes, telling the public that he is guilty. I am just so shocked. Idk cept that I will add him to my prayers and also pray that you/EWTN will see the wrong in your ways. May God have Mercy on us all

24. They will know them by their fruits…..So let us all pray for Fr. Corapi. The evil one is out working over time , so let us all pray that Our Lord, Our Lady and all the angels and saints protect Fr. and bring this to a speedy conclusion…Jesus…Thank you for loving us all…..God Bless and Guide us now and forever…Amen.

25. It seems to me that today if someone needs a “payday” or wants to rid him/herself of an annoying priest one has but to accuse him of any type of sexual indiscretion; true or false the damage is done! then the particular priest is removed (guilty until proven innocent). They all sit awaiting whatever fate comes…powerless!
    What a gimmick and my how it works!!!!

I pray Father is found not guilty and someone figures a better way to deal with these wrongful accusers.

26. To be fair it seems to me many of the thousands of priests accused of improper things, admitted it or didn’t fight the accusations…some I think were railroaded or more people joined in to the pack of accusers to get some $$ but many were guilty and ruined many lives.

I pray he isn’t guilty, but our prayers wont change it one way or another, they can help the people involved, but not change factss. The truth, be it good or bad, is done. I think “guilty until innocent” is wrong, BUT I feel in some cases, they know more than outsiders think and are doing damage control. If they dismiss a good priest on heresay, than the Catholic church wont be able to withstand the onslault of accusations. I understand the sins of many will haunt them a long time, but being rash will also hurt them greatly.

If Father is innocent, I hope he grows stronger through this, if he isn’t, I hope he gets help and stays strong with our Lord. I never say someone can’t do anything wrong, I’ve seen many people dissapoint, because of stress and human weakness, but this is between Father C and his superiors. We have no right to read that 3 page letter, see his diary, talk to him about it, his privacy is his own, but being on TV, he made himself (as did his superiors who pushed him that way) open to others inquiries. You are “family” to them, not in a realistic way, but in their heart.

27. Robert Gunderson says:

A simple blood test would give us the truth about a drug addiction. Once that comes back negative (I am supremely confident it would) then the credibility of the other charges become highly questionable. For this reason I believe it is not in Fr. Corapis best interest to have this investigation delayed as it has been.

28. Some drugs don’t stay in the system very long, it depends on the usage, but if they are really hooked, not having them shows more evidence than the test. (work in medical field and see this with patients)

I didn’t realize it was delayed. Delays are never good.

29. What about St. Augustine…He is sinner and #1 saint. So is Fr. Carapi

30. Father, I don’t know whether or not you’re going to read this. But if you are, I really just want to say one thing: I love ya, man.

31. Strange that the Catholic Church who professes charity, fairness, and justice would publicize “allegations” against Father John Corapi PRIOR to a full investigation is conducted to prove his innocence. There’s more politics within the church that in the public sector. Let Fr. Corapi have a Civil trial where the accuser can be cross examined by Father Corapi’s canon lawyer. After watching “Passion of Christ” last night it proved to me how the innocent are the ones to suffer while Satan does his work. I pray that the investigation is conducted fairly. May God be with Father Corapi in his hour of need. I’m certain that Fr. Corapi is innocent.

32. Padre Pio could not eacape it; St.Francicis could not escape it; so how could Fr. Coropi escape the false accusations and doubts of the church? God bless this humble servant and may satan again lose his evil plots and Christ prevail! May the church recognize his passion an love for Christ!

33. I pray for Fr. Corapi and that this will be worked out ASAP and that EWTN will keep it’s viewers updated!

Pray the Rosary, The Memomare, and the St. Michael prayer, just to name a few.

I believe he is innocent!

God have mercy on him and us all!

34. jacquie cruz gold star mom says:

Hang in there Father, emember Jesus was accused of many things too.You’re in my prayers. Peace and Bleddings Jacquie Cruz Gold Star Mom

35. Hang in there John, You have come too far, to just turn back. The truth will set you free.

I too have a dear friend who has left the church because of all the false accusations brought before by the Vincentin Order. He too decided to leave. It is just a shame that a great minister like you has to go through all this. Remember, Christ went through a lot. He too was accused by jealous minsters.

It is just pure jealousy. If she and the drugs could not have you then no one else can have you.

I pray that you would reconsider your decision leaving your ministry. But what ever the outcome is I will keep you in my prqayers.

36. disgusted says:

Most of you people make me sick. You have not heard the evadence, and you are making claims that John Coropi is innocent. You all remind me of the people that did that for years regarding the abuse of kids being raped by priest, and it was covered up and all that. But now when the church is being open and above board, and taking action you slame it.

I seem to recall a priest named Ken Roberts that people like you all defended tooth and nail, and then he comes clean, but makes excuses for abusing boys. Many of them. And he was not even a man to own up to that. He tried to blaim black outs from being a drunkard. I am sorry people, but most people, if they have that much to drink, and to the point of blacking out, can NOT proform sexually. But be that as it may. He acted all Holy like John Corapi.

I smell a deal her. You leave, and there will be no investigation, and you keep your lively hood.

And remember all that scandle about the special forces and Karate? I read what the real special forces guys had to say, and the investigations, and I have grave questions over John Corapis truthfullness as it is. I think I even saw on thier sight a copy of his DD 214 that says what he did. And it was nothing remotely combat related.

And you all do flip flop on Bishops. You like them because they do what you want one min.and then dispise them from trying to protect the church that they did NOT do for years, and still are not doing fully. They are still in many areas, hiding things from the Police. It was shameful then, and even more so now.

Many you people are why the kids never came forward as a kid. They were scared because people like you would have never believed them.

Look, just because this guys said things that you wanted to hear does not make him a saint. Thats what kept many abusers in the church too.

So he messed up. His excuses for quiting are pitiful. IF he was truly dedicated to God, and all that, he would pray, and have faith that the truth would come out. But it seems that he did not even have the faith do to that. The same faith that he use to ask you to have. And to buy his books and tapes that tell you the same things. He as far as I can see let you all down, and did not seem to believe what he was preaching.

I know that many of you will violently disagree. But thats just the way that I and some others see it. And we are intitled to our views just as you are yours.