Got a minute? Make a cross

If you’re wondering what to do with those long, leafy fronds you got at church today, here’s the answer.

It shows you, in one minute, how to turn a palm leaf into a cross.

YouTube Preview Image

Meantime, the truly ambitious can try the designs at this website.  (Thanks, Shana!)

Comments

1. Cool, I am going to show my grandchildren how to do this.

Thanks!

2. Michael from NE says:

I’ve been making those crosses for years, and nowadays I can usually make one in just a couple minutes or so. A hint – get the long skinny ones, the fatter ones don’t work as well. Normally I get two palms, one to go above my bed, the other over my desk (I work at home). This year I did my usual, but discovered that one of my palms was actually three layers thick, so I ended up with four palms. What to do with the remaining two. Well, I think I was fated to get those four palms, because arriving after we and going into the pew in front of us was a young couple with two young children (early elementary grades I’d say), who hadn’t picked up any palms for themselves. The idea itself didn’t come to my mind at once, but as I worked on fashioning those crosses I began to feel that my two extra crosses were meant for those two children, so when it came time for the greeting right before the Agnus dei, I bent over and gave the crosses to the two children. They were delighted, and I had the conviction that the Lord gives to us so that we can give to others. Why else a three-layered palm leaf.

3. Fr. Selvester says:

That’s neat. Just remember, however, not to be doing this during Mass when you should be paying attention. Also, if you do this after the palms are blessed then the two little pieces that were cut off in the video can’t simply be thrown away. They are blessed too! They have to be disposed of properly (usually by burning).

4. Gina Nakagawa says:

Got a minute? Make a cross from palm fronds, but, not as so many people do, during Mass. Reserve this activity for home. Yesterday I sat next to a family of adults who spent all their time up to the Consecration working on a cross then spent a great deal more time waving it around and left the Church after receiving Holy Communion. We need lessons in respect for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

5. Thank you, thank you. I’ve always wanted to do this and now I can!! Thank you for taking the time to share.

6. Talk about doing it the hard way! This can be done without cutting anything! Been doing it for years.

7. Traditionaltroubleshooter says:

Great, maybe you can link this to the NCR story by T. Reese on the mass catholic exodus to show how relevant and exciting a catholic mass. Maybe they won’t need to leave a catholic church to find more “spiritual” things to do. Gina, if you want respect and reverence, give up on the NO and find a TLM.

TTS

8. Max Lindenman says:

Forget it. I’m all thumbs, except for my left feet. I can barely make the sign of the cross without poking my eye out.

On the plus side, I can usually sweet-talk someone into doing it for me.

Egad, Max. Now I’m picturing you making the sign of the cross with your “left feet” and almost poking your eye out …

10. I had to watch it over and over but I finally got it! Could you redo the video but have the camera showing the other side?