“Exult, let them exult, the hosts of heaven…”

Looking for a recording of the new Exsultet?  Look no further.

The version below comes from this website (I believe the text is available there as well, and you can download it to your iPod).  Be forewarned: it’s long.  About a minute or so longer than the version most of us are familiar with.  And it’s tricky.  The Vigil will be here before you know it.  Start practicing!

Just click the green arrow below.

Comments

1. The site is wonderful, and yes, the full text is there. I used the site’s resources to prep for the Christmas Proclamation, downloading it to my iPod for practice in the car. I found the Christmas chant to be a bit faster on the recording than I ended up doing it. Spaces that are acoustically “hard” will need a somewhat slower pace, I suspect.

2. That is beautiful!

3. to quote Fr. Martis – “The Suprelative of Days”.

4. Wow, time is flying…

5. My favorite text of the Church Year. Years and years and decades ago, when my parish began celebrating the renewed splendor of the Vigil, we didn’t have deacons. I had the honor of proclaiming the English text of the Exsultet (in the longer form similar to this new translation) while a schola chanted the Latin. That was back in what even we who were doing it called the MGM (More Gimmicks at Mass) days, but if it wasn’t liturgically correct it was still amazingly moving, especially for a congregation who had not heard these powerful words before. I am delighted to see some of the ancient phrases restored—and particularly charmed by the excess of bees, as though this section of the Exsultet is brought to you by the Roman Apiarists’ Guild—though I have sympathy for the additional joyful strain this places on deacons!

6. Thanks for this Greg. I wish they had them up as standard mp3s. The only way I can see to save the files is to have QuickTime Pro. I’ve been practicing using “And With Your Spirit” put out by the Music Makers and available in the US from Cantica Nova. I really liked the mp3 by Fr. Tim H(curse this memory of mine). I’m have trouble with the phrasing in the new. Bees are OK but I wonder if the translators had and cantors on board including some less than talented clergy.

Ah, Fr. Tim Hepburn! Yes. I considered it definitive. The music, I’m told, wasn’t exactly the same as in the old sacramentary, but I found it eminently singable — both text and music.

The new one, not so much.

I can’t remember exactly how I did it, but by fiddling around with this version, I was able to download it onto my MacBook and file it in my iTunes, and from there to my iPod. But that may have been just dumb luck.

8. Miriam Ringrose says:

Our church does not have deacons and the Exsultet was always spoken at Easter Vigil until last year when I was asked to chant it. I practiced for the entire 2 weeks everywhere I went. To me this was the greatest blessing I have recieved. The words are powerful and I was blessed to have our congregation hear them and live them. This year I have more time to practice Thank God because it is very different. But the message is just as powerful.

9. Thank you Deacon Greg! You have done a great service to all with this “heads up!” I’ve already shared it.

10. Deacon Steve says:

We are fortunate that we have a wonderful cantor who can sign the Exultet. I cannot sing and it would be awful if I attempted it. I can marginally succeed with the “Christ our light”, but anything more than that would drive my parishioners out of the church during the vigil.

11. deacon john says:

Thanks a million Greg!
    I have been looking for this!
    Better start now, Easter will be here before we know it!
    Pace E Bene
    John

Been a deacon for 33 years and sang the Exultet maybe for 25 different Holy Saturdays (the other eight I was assigned to a parish where the Cantor did it — much to my annoyance). The last few years, I got really good.

Then they changed both the text and the music !

Luckily, we have a “rookie” deacon in my parish. He is a talented musician on his own and thus can “sight-read” sheet music — which I cannot do.

This can work!!

13. To save (at least on my PC, but should be the same on a Mac with “right click” enabled):
    Right click on QuickTime symbol
    Select: “Save Link As…”
    Then save where you want it.

Sitting in class with no audio, I am pretty sure this is the process I used to download this very file a few months ago.

14. Thanks, I’m using XP and SeaMonkey as a browser. I was able to do it by going to FILE Save Page As

The files linked above are the same as the CD I purchased but I was able to save a file by Brad Barnhorst at:

I wanted another singer – a few more would be nice- maybe Greg will post his esteemed efforts.

Ha. No, my goal is to attract people to church, not repel them…