Komen apologizes, reverses decision on funding Planned Parenthood

Details:

Komen for the Cure just released the following statement from Nancy Brinker and the Susan G. Komen Board of Directors:

We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women’s lives.The events of this week have been deeply unsettling for our supporters, partners and friends and all of us at Susan G. Komen. We have been distressed at the presumption that the changes made to our funding criteria were done for political reasons or to specifically penalize Planned Parenthood. They were not.

Our original desire was to fulfill our fiduciary duty to our donors by not funding grant applications made by organizations under investigation. We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political. That is what is right and fair.

Our only goal for our granting process is to support women and families in the fight against breast cancer. Amending our criteria will ensure that politics has no place in our grant process. We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants, while maintaining the ability of our affiliates to make funding decisions that meet the needs of their communities.

It is our hope and we believe it is time for everyone involved to pause, slow down and reflect on how grants can most effectively and directly be administered without controversies that hurt the cause of women. We urge everyone who has participated in this conversation across the country over the last few days to help us move past this issue. We do not want our mission marred or affected by politics – anyone’s politics.

Continue reading.

Comments

1. Fr. Deacon Daniel says:

“We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women’s lives…”

Actually, the decision that cast doubt on their commitment to saving women’s lives came the moment they started throwing dollars into Planned Parenthood’s coffers years ago. Sadly, power and political muscle has trumped principle yet again with this Foundation.

2. Komen received a huge amount of donations after they dropped their association with Planned Parenthood.

If anyone has contributed to this organization after they dropped Planned Parenthood, now would be the time to drop what you’re doing and put a “stop payment” on the check or get in touch with your credit card company to cancel the donation…and remember to tell them why you are doing so.

God bless! Do it now!

3. One more thing…be sure to tell everyone about this as well. Thanks.

4. Well isn’t this interesting? Just yesterday they the new hero (at least among the pro-lifers), now within 24 hours they have caved to the culture. And they say this isn’t “political?”

I guess no chance Mayor Bloomberg’s “match/make us funds” played into anything.

I”ve been warning against the “pink ribbon” phoniness for years. At least I’m glad it’s now been exposed.

And while I’m on the subject, and it’s close to “cookie time.” I suggest raising the volume up on the girl scouts this year too, who are also parterned with Planned Parenthood.

When I’m walking into a grocery store and those cute little girls standing there with their mothers ask me “Would you like to buy some girlscout cookies?” My reply is “I would love to sweeheart, but in doing so I would be supporting abortion.”

5. Mark LaVergne says:

One thing instructive about this controversy is the realization of the extent of the political power of Planned Parenthood and their ability to organize on a moment’s notice. I had people on Facebook circulating petitions condemning Komen, and you have NY Times editorials and comments by US Senators. All this public furor over a private organization (Komen) making an internal decision involving another private organization (PP) – and not involving public funds or the violation of any laws. PP essentially strong-armed and bullied Komen in the public square when it was nobody’s business but Komen’s. Unbelievable demonstration of raw, naked power which will hurt both organizations in the long run.

6. No pink themed stuff, no girl scout cookies.

7. We demonstrate our resistance to political pressure by caving to political pressure.

8. ron chandonia says:

Maybe it was hacking their website that did it, or perhaps it was changing their Wiki page to accuse them of hatred for women. Not unlike dealing with the Mafia.

9. Apologize for what? If it’s their policy to not fund organizations under investigation, then they have nothing to apologize for. Anyway, I suspect as such. This is only a temporary separation with PP.

10. Deacon Moore says:

Only because I like girl scout cookies, and because I hadn’t heard of a connection between girl scouts and planned parenthood, I went to the girl scout website to see what they had to say.

Q: Does GSUSA have a relationship with Planned Parenthood?

A: No, Girl Scouts of the USA does not have a relationship or partnership with Planned Parenthood.

Q: Did GSUSA distribute a Planned Parenthood brochure at a United Nations event?

A: No, we did not. In 2010, GSUSA took part in the 54th Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations. Our participation in that conference was the subject of numerous internet stories and blogs that were factually inaccurate and troubling. Girl Scouts had no knowledge of the brochure in question and played no role in distributing it.

Maybe they’re hiding something, but for now, I’ll take their word and will keep on buying mint thins.

11. Regina Faighes says:

The amount of power and the level of influence that Planned Parenthood wields is frightening. If only that power and influence were used for good and not for evil!

12. Dance with Planned Parenthood for a few tunes, and just see what happens when you want to sit out a set.

13. Deacon Moore:

Girl Scouts of America is still partnering with Planned Parenthood. See this very recent short video of the Girl Scouts CEO (in her own words):

14. And, here is another interesting video regarding a Girl Scouts speaker and PP affliate:

15. Yeah, I can relate Dcn Moore, thin mints are my favs too.

Unfortunately, “the devil is in the details.” They try to cover it up, but it’s true. In fact, so much so, that an “anti PP group has come about”, offering girls scouting as it should be. Maybe someone reading can tell us the name of it, as I’m racking my brain and can’t remember it.

p.s. I suggest Mrs. Fields chocolate chip as an alternative :)

16. They had also announced cutting of funding ESC research. Has anyone heard a reversal on that one yet, other than Mayor Bloomburg yesterday agreeing to pay the tab?

17. The group is called American Heritage Girls-founded in the 1990′s by a former Girl Scout troop leader who got fed up with the leftist agenda the Girl Scouts have been pushing on girls for the past 20 years.

I have no connection with AHG. I am a former Girl Scout troop co-leader who has also walked away.

18. Yeah-and I miss those Samoas/Tagalongs!

19. This goes far beyond GS and PP: Consider that this week (on Feb 1, 2012), GSUSA hosted an event and held up as role models Nancy Pelosi, and Kathleen Sebelius among other pro-abortion politicians. These ladies were allowed to present to the girls attending the event. The fact that Girl Scouts chooses to align themselves with these women speaks volumes. There are many, many other examples of GSUSA promoting abortion advocates to their girl members. Here are pictures of Sebelius and Pelosi hanging out with the girls, made possible by Girl Scouts of the USA. http://washingtonscene.thehill.com/party-events-pictures/archive/13881-girl-scouts-of-the-usa-celebrate-100-years

20. Kevin Murray says:

I understand the Komen foundation’s rationale is that PP helps women get mammograms. So everything else PP does is not an issue, I guess. Fortunately there are other groups out there supporting breast cancer research that have no ties to PP.

21. Planned Parenthood does NOT do mammograms. Please watch this video in its entirety and you’ll see:

22. Oregon Catholic says:

I was just thinking “Dance with the devil and you will always get burned”.

I’m glad they changed their minds—however it took a large backlast from a lot of women to get them to reverse their decision! I don’t thnk they expected that backlash—never underestimate the power women can have when it comes to their health!1 :o)

24. I would put it in terms less sentimental than that. The Komen Foundation has lived off a couple of marketing devices which rely on being both innocuous and faddish. You can’t take a stand on an issue and maintain that status. The Komen Foundation is now despised by both sides and will be lucky to survive the next two years.

25. yes, I just read two articles, one from Poltico and one from the Washington Post, both today. Both articles say the same thing, that the Kommen fiasco has helped the image of Planned Parenhood- A LOT! There is even a qoute by pollster Celinda Lake that this had given Planned Parenthood a lot more clout than it had as recently as a week ago. The backlash was spontaneous and driven by thousands of women all over the country. I know that women in my office were talking about it and they never talk about things like this. NOBODY saw this coming.
    The Washington Post article added that, by going after contrception and Planned Parenthood inthe mix, the prolife movement has started to galvanize a lot under 30 generation who hadn’t really thought about this and are NOW getting onvolved to HELP Planned Parenthood.
    Likewise, the Kommen Foundation ahs damaged itself because the background of their new vie president ahs come to light. At least, one board member resigned because of her.
    It now seems that the Kommen fiasco has proved to be a bridge too far for the pro life movement and case of overreach. There is an old saying in politcs-”Poltical wounds are self inflicted” and this proves it.

That is good news, Pol.

How is it good news that Komen is forced to promote the primary promoter of breast cancer in the country?