Marrying at 100: love is forever young

This should do your heart good:

Turning 100 is a significant milestone on its own, but Dana Jackson decided to also tie the knot on her one hundredth birthday. Jackson and Bill Strauss, 87 got married in the cafeteria of the Rosewood Health Care Center on February 6th.

YouTube Preview Image

Comments

1. So does that mean they are cafeteria Christians?

That means it is never to late to love. Hopefully time will be good to them and they will have some years together. Also won’t have to worry about NFP!

3. Love this. My aunt is 91 and I refuse to see her as old or elderly; only goes to show I’m right, again.

4. Well, if he tries to take that garter off, they both might end up in the hospital…lol.

5. i thought as catholics we believed that marriage is a sacrament that is only acceptable for those who can to the best of their knowledge procreate and that otherwise a priest should not in good conscience marry them. sorry i am not trying to put a damper on them, but just curious to what the deacon would say to that.

6. actually i guess if they are getting married in a cafeteria they are not catholic.

angela: Why in the world would any priest refuse to marry two people because of their ages? Marriage is for love—and if procreation happens to be possible, perhaps for that to. I would think God would cheer this—love and companionship in their later years—who could ask for more?

OOPS! Guess I should qualify the statement about ages: Why should their advanced ages be a problem to being married?

Angela…

There is nothing in Catholic teaching, to my knowledge, that insists that only couples able to bear children can have a sacramental marriage. Certainly that wouldn’t apply to a woman who’s 100!

Also, given the advanced ages of the two people involved, if they are Catholic they may have been given a pastoral dispensation to be married in their retirement home. We don’t know the details.

10. My dad died at the age of 56 — about a year before I was ordained a deacon. Mom was 53 at the time. Some seven or so years later, she decided to get re-married and asked me to preside at that wedding ceremony.

Now I ask you — what do you say when you are asked to preach at your Mother’s wedding?

11. Deacon Greg,
    You are correct. Per Canon 1084 §3 “Without prejudice to the provisions of Canon 1098, sterility neither forbids nor invalidates a marriage.” However (and at their ages this is potentially a big however) both parties must be able to consummate the marriage by vaginal intercourse with actual ejaculation of semen. Sexual impotence is a major impediment under Roman Catholic canon law, which generally cannot be dispensed.

Disclaimer: I am not Roman Catholic.

Deacon Norb: That could be a bit tricky—but I expect you did well. :o)

Ad Orientem, somehow I don’t think this couple could consummate this marriege. They are in the eyes of God, just as married without that particular act, IMO.

14. I am not disputing that opinion. I am just noting what the Catholic Church teaches. I’m not Catholic and the Orthodox Church is not as tightly wound as Rome on the subject of marriage and children (though we won’t normally marry people who don’t want kids).