A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose is a rose is a rose…

Ten thousand of them, in fact.  Below is a snapshot from the Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe in Orlando, which every year celebrates both Mary and all mothers will memorial roses on Mother’s Day.  They often stay in bloom and in place for two or three weeks after the holiday.  (H/T to my Florida amigo Fernando for the picture!)

Comments

1. It seems like some of that money could be better spent.

2. Deacon John says:

Beautiful.

Will…

The shrine has been doing this for many years. The roses are funded by donations, and the proceeds support a women’s charity in Florida.

DGK

4. Will, I predicted when I saw this that someone would make that comment. Thank you for making it come true.

Roses are one of my most favorite flowers—and they are certainly beautiful in the setting above.

6. Deacon John says:

This basilica was built in Orlando specifically to serve the needs of the tourists in the Orlando area. They provide a tremendous service to faithful Catholics who are searching for a place to honor their Sunday Mass obligation while on vacation. My wife and I went to Sunday mass in January and the place was packed.
    They provide a very valuable ministry.
    Kudos to them.

We’ve been going there for about 15 years and, like you said, it’s always packed. Unfortunately, because it’s not a parish church, it needs to rely entirely on donations from Mass-goers who are just passing through town, and the first 10 minutes of every Mass are given over to “Welcome and don’t forget to be generous” pleadings for money.

But: the liturgies are exceptionally well done — many of the singers work at Disney — and the place has a beautiful rosary garden and adoration chapel, too! (Not to mention a first-rate gift shop :-)).

DGK

8. As much as I love flowers – especially in church – there is something to be said for tasteful restraint. This display attests to the theory, “What’s good in moderation is better in excess.” Less IS more!

9. Rev Mr Flapatap says:

I don’t know why, but a certain incident with a jar of perfume comes to mind. Greetings to your friend Fernando (and many apologies to him for my past behavior; he was my 9th grade history teacher).

10. I also thought of the jar of perfume. People often complain about the “waste” that is art in churches—-spending on paintings or stained glass windows, when that money could have gone to the poor (presumably). I hear this often in reference to the Vatican, or Notre Dame de Paris, or Chartres Cathedral. There is nothing new under the sun.

These beautiful flowers and works of art bear witness to the love and honor their patrons show(ed) to God. Many such works remain there and allow millions of us poor dolts over the centuries the opportunity to see them—-in some cases, the best examples of art and beauty in the world—for free and as often as we like. what is that worth? Have some people, perhaps, chosen the better part?

11. I guess I still do not understand. It seems that if there were less roses more money could go to the charity.

12. Katie Angel says:

Sometimes the grand gesture is the right one – and this is one of those times. It is lovely and inspiring and wonderful. I, too, have availed myself of the services there when I vacation in Orlando (which is usually 2-3 times a year). They are an incredible ministry!

13. LoneThinker says:

Each Mother gets a rose, they know how many them need from experience. The Shrine, now a minor Basilica does provide a magnificent service to the entire community from all the hotels and Theme Parks. We used attend some daily Masses and Sunday Masses with guests who came to Orlando. We lived about 15 mins. away.

14. Jacqueline Y. says:

When we visited there a few years ago, I was struck by the beauty and subject matter of the stained glass windows. I remember thinking that a photographer and a writer should team up to create a catechetical children’s book about them.