Brain freeze: artist turns communion wine into popsicles

I confess: it took every ounce of fortitude I could muster to refrain from using the word “pope-sicle” in the headline.

From Joanne at Egregious Twaddle:

Bad enough I’m always torn between explaining to my artist friends that being a faithful Catholic is not drinking the Kool-Aid and explaining to my faithful Catholic friends that it’s not worth sweating over “art” that challenges Catholic piety. Now artist Sebastian Errazuriz has to go and put the whole business on ice:

At a party this weekend celebrating New York Design Week, which begins today, the Chilean-born artist plans to hand out 100 “Christian Popsicles” made of “frozen holy wine transformed into the blood of Christ” and featuring a crucifix instead the tongue depressor that typically hosts the frozen treats, he said.

An image of Jesus Christ positioned traditionally on the cross is visible once the ice pop is consumed. As for the frozen wine, Errazuriz said, he concealed it in a cooler and took it into a church, where it was “inadvertently blessed by the priest while turning wine into the blood of Christ during the Eucharist.”

You’ll have to read the rest — including her debunking of the notion that the wine has been “inadvertently blessed” and consecrated.

Comments

1. Communion wine? Isn’t that sacralidge? That’s the blood of Christ, and I assume as it melts will drip and fall.

2. Alright, I read the links and it’s not real consecrated wine. But it’s still disrespectful if you ask me. I don’t like it and I’m not surprised an atheist thought it up.

3. Deacon Bryan Amore says:

“Inadvertantly”????….I think a little catechesis is needed here. The ignorance is almost funny.

4. You can’t ‘accidentally’ consecrate. So no fear there. I guess this is in it’s own way, an act of faith in the Real Presence (even if she was mistaken about consecration). This means she has more faith than a lot of Catholics. :: weary laugh ::

5. I don’t know– I’d say it’s a teaching opportunity. If this were truly consecrated it would be a whole different thing. It seems this is an act of faith, whether those involved realise it or not. I’m less concerned about disrespect in this case (the world is so full of it anyway) than missing the opportunity to teach truth and glorify God that this represents.

6. Of course it isn’t the blood of Christ! WHen the priest says Mass he consecrates everything within the confines of the Corporal spread out upon the Altar. That is what he intends to consecrate, thus it is consecrated. Read your rubrics Sebastian! Still though, this is really sick that someone would even attempt to do this. My Lord and my God, My Jesus Mercy!

7. Notgiven says:

Manny,

I’m glad you read the links. To be consecrated the wine must be on the mensa (altar) during consecration. I’m not sure how it’s done for all the big, big Masses with thousands of people participating. I presume there is some sort of indult for the large quantities of wine used, something along the lines of designating the large quantity of wine an extension of the mensa for that purpose only at that particular Mass only. An official master of ceremonies at a cathedral (or our good deacon Greg here) may know.

8. Nameless says:

Often for the large masses, they are pre-sanctified by priests earlier in the day…

9. I’m sure that the artist would be very unlikely to get “true” consecrated wine from a Catholic priest or parish, unless it is the unconsecrated wine from the bottle. When the priest is at Mass, he drinks (and parishoners if he shared the blood with his circle of extraordinary [and somewhat at times unneccesary in quantity] Ministers of the Holy Communion), the whole quantity of what is consecrated. If there is any left over, it goes down the sacrarium. It’d be a rare possibility the atheist is waiting there in a sacristy at the sacrarium and manages to convince a sacristan or a priest to give them the leftover consecrated wine, unless that person was totally stupid and ignorant.Likely even the most liberal priest wouldn’t be that stupid to give the atheist some consecrated wine. Maybe an EMHC/Sacrsitan laperson might but my hunch is they value their position so much not to do a stupid thing and would lose it if they did. Now, if the “consecrated” Christian wine was taken from another Chirsitan “church”, then fine I get the claim, but we Catholics know better than to fall for this being consecrated wine.

10. I am sorry anyone chose to bring attention to this.
    It would be best if it never saw the light of day.
    My Jesus,mercy.
    Father,forgive them they know not what they do.

11. It has to do with the priest’s intent. For a large Mass, there are side altars spread around the crowd. The priest, when consecrating, knows about this and specifically intends to consecrate the wine on those altars. At least this is how it was explained when I attended World Youth day years ago.

For this case, just taking wine into the Church wouldn’t work if the priest is unaware of the wine and does not intend to consecrate it. No “inadvertent” blessings – only intentional ones when it comes to the sacraments.

12. Peggy Hagen says:

And even on the altar, intention matters – i.e., the wine our deacon spilled on the altar cloth before the Consecration didn’t get consecrated.

13. YCRCM says “Basically, the consecrated part is a big fat lie, with maybe a less than 1% chance of being true.”

Zero per cent chance of being true. All consecrated wine must be consumed. Even to knowingly dispose of it in the sacrarium is grounds for immediate excommunication. The ‘event’ is garbage. Insulting, but then for some when you spit in my face it’s assault; when I spit in your face and I’m an artist it’s ‘performance art.’

Big fat lie is the accurate description :-)

God bless

14. Notgiven says:

Good points.

A few clarifications:

First, God is not a “left over.”

Second, all of the Precious Blood is to be consumed as a matter of course. It is not to be poured down the sacrarium. This is a grave abuse of the Holy Eucharist and subject to sanction by Rome. Don’t do it. And, don’t advise others to do so.

15. That’s pretty tacky. About as tacky as this:

16. Interesting to read this in light of today’s Gospel. ” They do not belong to the world
    any more than I belong to the world.” it’s funny, stories like this used cause me angst, but now they just reinforce today’s reading. The World will hate us or look at us oddly, but isn’t that just the way it should be? Anyhow, this artist is at least thinking about the great sacrifice the Lord made for ALL of us so heres a pray she comes to know Him more completely and fully.

17. Notgiven says:

Absolutely right!

18. Is it right to spread this kind of stupidity around further than it has? Isn’t this error? Doesn’t passing it along as far possible add to the scandal? People who know better are not served in any way well to learn of this nor are people who can’t discern that it’s wrong. Isn’t there still such a thing as remote material co-operation?

19. Interesting that several people here have assumed the artist is a woman. He’s not. And I only linked to it–and debunked the artist’s claim that the wine was consecrated. Thanks to all who have gone into great detail about why that’s so.

20. I’m reminded of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry’s dentist converts to Judaism, and immediately starts using self-depricating Jewish humor. Jerry is annoyed, and goes to talk to a priest about how’s he annoyed that his dentist has converted perhaps only in order to tell these jokes.
    Priest: “And this offends you as a Jew?”
    Jerry: “No. It offends me as a comedian!”

Same thing here.
    It’s not disrespectful, for the same reason that a bag lady screaming obscenities at traffic isn’t disrespectful. To actually be provocative, you have to be intelligent. This artist is an idiot. I’m more concerned that its bad, stupid, ridiculous, no-talent hackery.
    He’ll of course get high fives from his esoteric artist friends over this no-talent nonsense, and all the more so because he has tried to provoke.
    Transgressive art is lame.

That said, I think I’m going to take my oldest kid to the Met today. It’s beautiful outside!

21. Midwestlady says:

Is there a reason why this has to be publicized? Free publicity is what this is about.

Wonder how many folks who ate the popsicles were surprised to find Jesus on the cross inside their cold, refreshing treat? Was there a warning label?

23. LoneThinker says:

Any Catholic with common sense will tell you the bread and wine are not cnsecrated unless the priest does not do so intentionally. Otherwise there would be outrageous sacrileges committed and the Black Mass people would have lots of communion bread and wine with which to mock Jesus and the Mass, instead of sneaking oa consecrated host out at communion. This artist seems to be a believer in the Mystery, despite his sick art and lousy theology- practicing Catholics can learn from this attempt at blasphemy and actually BELIEVE what we profess.

24. Don’t experiment with what should be holy.
    I find this not to be a good idea.

25. deaconnecessary says:

Nothing to get upset about, really. No intelligent Catholic would ever believe for a minute the “artist’s” claim that she actually used the Precious Blood.
    Tacky? Yes.
    Scandalous? No.
    I think we have more important issues to be concerned with.

26. Of course it’s not consecrated wine for the reasons already mentioned but I don’t see how anyone could not find this problematic just the same.

Does anyone really think it’s not a problem for an image of Christ crucified to be on a Popsicle stick? It’s just another attempt to mock Christianity; a blasphemous attempt!

27. A priest doesn’t “inadvertently” or unknowingly change wine into the Precious Blood. He merely has frozen wine, despite his evil intentions.

Trackbacks

1. [...] here: Brain freeze: artist turns communion wine into popsicles Share and [...]