This week the new season of 19 Kids and Counting premiered on TLC. Because so much of the Duggars’ life has already played out in the news, it’s weird watching the show and already knowing what’s going to happen (namely, Michelle is still pregnant with Jubilee, but we all know that the miscarriage is coming up).
In the premiere, Michelle was at a conference, giving a speech about how to have a happy Christian marriage. An eagle-eyed forum poster on TWoP was able to transcribe some of the sheet she handed out to the women in attendance. Spoiler alert: it’s about letting your man be in charge.
Seven Basic Needs of a Husband
1. A husband needs a wife who respects him as a man.
How does a wife destroy her husband’s manliness?
A. By expecting him to know what protection you need
Tell your husband how he can protect you.
1. Love is killed by self-sufficiency
2. Whoever controls the money controls the leadership.
Center your work and your ministry in your home.
C. By giving greater loyalty to outside leadership
1. Pastor and church leaders
2. Men and women Bible teachers
3. Relatives and friends
Ask your husband your spiritual questions.
D. By resisting his decisions in your spirit
1. A wife’s spirit controls her husband’s ambitions
2. Reviewing past failure destroys a husband’s self-worth.
Learn to wisely appeal to your husband
E. By resisting his physical affection
1. This is the unspoken crushing of a man’s spirit.
2. A wife’s Godliness is a powerful guard against her husband’s abuse of … [cuts off]
Update: Here’s the full text of the handout. Keep a barf bag handy.