Blessed by Less by Susan Vogt is a practical manual about clearing your life of clutter by living lightly.
This very slim, but powerful book teaches people how to lighten their loads and why that is so important.
In a day of consumerism and materialism, Blessed by Less invites readers into the blessing of having less.
Vogt begins the book by explaining how less is better. She addresses the question how much is enough and how much is too much. She then gives practical insights on rules of thumb for living lightly.
Vogt discusses being prudent, being responsible, and being wise. She discusses how to be generous and fair.
She then launches into tips on how to save money. This includes how to buy less, how to eat less, how to share borrow and trade.
She discusses clothing, books, games, and even electronics. She then she issues a 40-day strategy to become freer and more generous.
I love the practicals she gives. It turns the concepts into concrete realities that have handles on them.
Vogt discusses the principle of waste. How to waste less, how to waste less energy and how to create less garbage. She touches on worry and hurry and even launches into a discussion on fate and the difference between cheap faith and deeper faith.
Finally, she closes the book with some vexing questions and decisions.
The book has a Catholic feel to it, however, it’s great for Protestants and Orthodox Christians. It’s structured in a very simple way. It’s broken up into sections, numbered lists, and bullet points which makes the book easily scannable and digestible.
Her insights are sound and they come out of her own experience (which is a plus).
If you are someone who has encumbered with clutter, Blessed by Less is the practical manual and guide you’ve been looking for.
This post is part of the sponsored Patheos Book Club.
Other Posts of Interest:
- What Was Paul’s Thorn in the Flesh, Really?
- Problems and Solutions in Discipleship: Part III
- Problems and Solutions in Discipleship: Part II
- Problems and Solutions in Discipleship: Part I
- 3 Shocking Quotes by Billy Graham
- Rethinking How We Present the Gospel
- THE WISH DREAM by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Does Christianity Have a Feminine Feel?
- In Praise of Dry Spells
- An Audience of One
- I Don’t Know
- Alice Cooper on Jesus
- 3 Lessons Every Writer, Speaker, Blogger, and Musician Can Learn from Led Zeppelin
- A Farewell to Self-Righteousness
- Mixing It Up With N.T. Wright
- Rethinking Christian Unity – My Response to Rachel Held Evans
- A Unique and Amazing Look at Jesus Christ
- 14 Tests for Your Church
- Advice to New Christians
- The Race Card of the Early Christians – What They Can Teach Us Today
- A Tale of Two Mentors – Which Will You Become?
- Lessons from RUSH
- John Lennon on Jesus: The Untold Story
- Don’t Believe Everything You Hear or Read
- Rethinking the Second Coming of Christ
- Bono on Jesus
- The Bible is Not a Jigsaw Puzzle
- 5 Reasons to Defriend Someone on Facebook
- Introducing My Toolbox
- The Finger or the Hand?
- Anointed for Burial
- The Unbroken Christian
- How to Properly Receive Jesus Christ – It May Surprise You
- Why Mary of Bethany is My Hero
- Rejected in All Quarters But One
- The Agony Over God’s Will
- Rick Warren’s Horrific Tragedy & The Sickening Response of Some “Christians”
- The Top Christian Blogs
- Living by the Indwelling Life of Christ – Online Course
- Three Kinds of Critics & How to Respond to Them
- Sin Metrics: The Sins that Christians Condemn & Excuse
- Who Are You? Accepting Your True Identity
- How to Start a Blog in Less Than 10 Minutes
- Rethinking Discipleship, Mission, and Church
- Refuse to Do Nothing: Finding Your Power to Abolish Modern-Day Slavery
- The Sinner’s Prayer – Where Did It Come From?
- Water Baptism – A Deeper Look
- Mysticism – What Is It and Is it Good or Bad?
- The Top 100 Christian Books Ever Written
- The Swearing Christian: My 13 Cents
- Epic Jesus: An Interview with Asbury Seminary – Part II
- Epic Jesus: An Interview with Asbury Seminary – Part I
- Theology Doesn’t Have to be a Bloodsport
- Wise Words from President Obama
- So You Think You Disagree? 4 Reasons Why You May Not
- Things Aren’t Always What They Seem
- Blessed Are the Undesirable
- The Gospel – It Isn’t What I Thought
- Forgotten Words of Jesus
- Hearing One Side of a Story
- The Most Ignored Sin
- Moving Beyond Legalism and Libertinism
- What Makes Jesus Angry?
- Mixing It Up With George Barna
- The Sinking Ship of Evangelical Christianity
- Jesus Christ Remixed
- 7 Things You May Not Know About Jesus
- Don’t Waste Your Time Being a Christian
- Why I Am a Christian
- There is No Proof of God’s Existence
- What Does God Really Think About Women?
- Calvinists & Ariminians Are More Alike Than You Might Think
- 20 Reasons Why the Christian Right & the Christian Left Won’t Adopt Me
- How (Not) to Correct Another Christian
- 9 Lies the Media Likes to Tell About Evangelical Christians
- Reading the Bible in 3D
- How to Lose Friends & Alienate People Online
- Jesus & the War on Women
- Warning: The World is Watching How We Christians Treat One Another
If you find this post helpful, you are free to ADD A LINK to it on your blog or website. But don’t copy and paste the post as this violates Google’s guidelines.