I like slim, short books. Living By Faith, Dwelling in Doubt: A Story of Belief, Uncertainty, and Boundless Love by Kyle R. Cupp is just that. Coming in at less than 115 pages, this is quick, breezy read. But the content is not so breezy.
Living by Faith, Dwelling in Doubt is one man’s journey into the struggle to believe despite being assaulted with doubts, mainly due to personal tragedy.
Cupp is a young man who is a Catholic. The book reads more like a personal journey to himself than a treatise for others.
You get to look over the shoulder of a man who is grappling with his faith in God and the Catholic church, trying to make sense of why he lost his daughter (for instance).
Referencing recent shows like The Walking Dead and the old classics of Tolkien and The Cloud of Unknowing, Cupp talks about the tension of living by faith in the presence of doubt.
In many ways, this book reminded me of another book that came out this year by Greg Body, Benefit of the Doubt.
The premise is the same. However, Greg is coming at the issue from the perspective of an Anabaptist theologian while Cupp is coming at it as a Catholic.
I’d like to encourage Cupp to read Boyd’s book as I think he’ll really enjoy and benefit from it.
Cupp’s book raises many questions that hit all people of faith square in the heart. Questions like, can I still believe while I’m doubting a God who doesn’t seem to be real or near or here?
These are cutting issues for all believers.
Most Christians, like Cupp, embrace and experience a certain faith during their youth. However, when the storms of life come and crisis crashes into our lives, they either abandon their faith altogether — or like Cupp — they dig in and discover what uncertain faith means.
Cupp’s book helps navigate Christians through these questions and issues. He tells his own story in different stages as he shares discoveries, struggles, questions, and insights.
Like I said, the book reads more like a journal. A journal that, perhaps, many of you can identify with and thus be encouraged by.
This post is part of the sponsored Patheos Book Club.
Other Posts of Interest:
- What Was Paul’s Thorn in the Flesh, Really?
- Problems and Solutions in Discipleship: Part III
- Problems and Solutions in Discipleship: Part II
- Problems and Solutions in Discipleship: Part I
- 3 Shocking Quotes by Billy Graham
- Rethinking How We Present the Gospel
- THE WISH DREAM by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Does Christianity Have a Feminine Feel?
- In Praise of Dry Spells
- An Audience of One
- I Don’t Know
- Alice Cooper on Jesus
- 3 Lessons Every Writer, Speaker, Blogger, and Musician Can Learn from Led Zeppelin
- A Farewell to Self-Righteousness
- Mixing It Up With N.T. Wright
- Rethinking Christian Unity – My Response to Rachel Held Evans
- A Unique and Amazing Look at Jesus Christ
- 14 Tests for Your Church
- Advice to New Christians
- The Race Card of the Early Christians – What They Can Teach Us Today
- A Tale of Two Mentors – Which Will You Become?
- Lessons from RUSH
- John Lennon on Jesus: The Untold Story
- Don’t Believe Everything You Hear or Read
- Rethinking the Second Coming of Christ
- Bono on Jesus
- The Bible is Not a Jigsaw Puzzle
- 5 Reasons to Defriend Someone on Facebook
- Introducing My Toolbox
- The Finger or the Hand?
- Anointed for Burial
- The Unbroken Christian
- How to Properly Receive Jesus Christ – It May Surprise You
- Why Mary of Bethany is My Hero
- Rejected in All Quarters But One
- The Agony Over God’s Will
- Rick Warren’s Horrific Tragedy & The Sickening Response of Some “Christians”
- The Top Christian Blogs
- Living by the Indwelling Life of Christ – Online Course
- Three Kinds of Critics & How to Respond to Them
- Sin Metrics: The Sins that Christians Condemn & Excuse
- Who Are You? Accepting Your True Identity
- How to Start a Blog in Less Than 10 Minutes
- Rethinking Discipleship, Mission, and Church
- Refuse to Do Nothing: Finding Your Power to Abolish Modern-Day Slavery
- The Sinner’s Prayer – Where Did It Come From?
- Water Baptism – A Deeper Look
- Mysticism – What Is It and Is it Good or Bad?
- The Top 100 Christian Books Ever Written
- The Swearing Christian: My 13 Cents
- Epic Jesus: An Interview with Asbury Seminary – Part II
- Epic Jesus: An Interview with Asbury Seminary – Part I
- Theology Doesn’t Have to be a Bloodsport
- Wise Words from President Obama
- So You Think You Disagree? 4 Reasons Why You May Not
- Things Aren’t Always What They Seem
- Blessed Are the Undesirable
- The Gospel – It Isn’t What I Thought
- Forgotten Words of Jesus
- Hearing One Side of a Story
- The Most Ignored Sin
- Moving Beyond Legalism and Libertinism
- What Makes Jesus Angry?
- Mixing It Up With George Barna
- The Sinking Ship of Evangelical Christianity
- Jesus Christ Remixed
- 7 Things You May Not Know About Jesus
- Don’t Waste Your Time Being a Christian
- Why I Am a Christian
- There is No Proof of God’s Existence
- What Does God Really Think About Women?
- Calvinists & Ariminians Are More Alike Than You Might Think
- 20 Reasons Why the Christian Right & the Christian Left Won’t Adopt Me
- How (Not) to Correct Another Christian
- 9 Lies the Media Likes to Tell About Evangelical Christians
- Reading the Bible in 3D
- How to Lose Friends & Alienate People Online
- Jesus & the War on Women
- Warning: The World is Watching How We Christians Treat One Another
If you find this post helpful, you are free to ADD A LINK to it on your blog or website. But don’t copy and paste the post as this violates Google’s guidelines.