On July 18, 1869, Bishop Loughlin laid the cornerstone of a church in Siegel Street near Ewen Street, in the Eastern District, for the French-speaking Catholics of Brooklyn. It was dedicated to St. Louis and placed under the care of Rev. Jules Jollon who had done missionary service in Africa as well as in America and who was signally honored by the French Government. In 1889 Father Jollon abandoned the old church on Siegel Street and removed to Ellery Street near Nostrand Avenue, where he erected a frame church, seating about 1700, a rectory and a school. The French element, which in former days was largely from Alsace and Lorraine, is gradually decreasing, and the congregation is now composed of English-speaking people, so that it has become necessary for the clergy attached to this church to preach both in French and English. The church built by Father Jollon is consecrated. Father Jollon died on July 12, 1913, and was succeeded by Rev. Martin Hogan, D.D. He was ordained in November, 1891, and was appointed to St. Mary’s, Star of the Sea. He was rector at St. Mary’s, Roslyn, but resigned after a few years and went to Rome to study. Two years later he returned and went to St. Paul’s Seminary, Minnesota, where he was professor of dogmatic theology until 1910, when he again returned to Brooklyn and became senior curate at St. Mary’s, Star of the Sea. He taught philosophy at St. Francis’ College. Father Farrenkopf was acting rector of St. Louis’ until the appointment of Father Hogan in February, 1913. Father Hogan is assisted by Revs. Tobias E. Farrenkopf and Joseph C. Curren. The school has an attendance of 17 boys and 19 girls, under the care of 2 lay teachers. There are 300 children in the Sunday school. The parish contains 6000 souls and the church property is valued at $100,000.
The Catholic Church in the United States (1914)