Daughters of the Eucharist (1909)
With the approval of His Eminence, James Cardinal Gibbons, the Society of the Daughters of the Eucharist was established in Baltimore, October 14, 1909. Founded by Katherine A. Dietz, for the self-sanctification of its members and the sanctfication of souls by the performance of spiritual and corporal works of mercy, those forming the Society, well experienced in the practical field of social service work, carry on, particularly as parish visitors, the missionary labors for which they united.
With the first headquarters of the Society in Baltimore, at 521 N. Charles Street, pastors of the various parishes availed themselves of its aid, calling upon the Daughters of the Eucharist to perform services in helping to solve the ever present problems of the needy and unfortunate.
The reconstruction of the family forms a primary work and study for the Society, and with this in view its work is based on religious and sociological principles. The members of the Society in turn act as instructors for those ignorant of the truths of faith, or neglectful of their religious duties. They also act as counselors to those confused or misled by various harmful agencies who haunt the homes of the poor under the guise of social service. In every phase of spiritual and corporal charity the Daughter of the Eucharist renders aid,
In December 1911, remaining in Baltimore, the Society transferred its headquarters to 1133 N. Gilmor Street, and in this settlement work was begun. A chapel was erected under ecclesiastical authority, with permission for reservation of the Blessed Sacrament. The Daughters of the Eucharist, who live a community life, and make the profession of the three vows of religion, wear no distinctive garb. This enables them to meet certain needs in their work which might not be coped with by persons wearing a religious habit.
In 1915 the adjacent house, 1135 N. Gilmor Street, was purchased, and a day nursery and kindergarten established. In the course of their work, many cases were found where children were without proper care, through either the separation or death of parents, in consequence of which the little ones were given a home at the nursery. The house soon became overcrowded, and in the spring of 1919 a commodious country home, with seven acres of ground, on Malden Choice Road, near Catonsville, was purchased. A large group building was erected, and all modern features installed for the country “Boarding Home School” then established, and since permanentlt maintained throughout the year.
The government of the Society, with the Motherhouse in Catonsville, is vested in Mother Katherine A. Dietz, Superior, Mother Alice M. Russell, Treasurer, and Mother Eva Marie Kuhl, Secretary. The latest Code of Canon Law is observed in the Society. whose members are active in social service and charitable work in the archdiocese of Baltimore.
Elinor Tong Dehey, ed., Religious Orders of Women in the United States, Catholic: Accounts of Their Origin, Works, and Most Important Institutions, Interwoven With Histories of Many Famous Foundresses (Revised) (Hammond, IN: W.B. Conkey, 1930), 781-783.