1. From ESPN Page 2’s DJ Gallo, a hilarious rundown of some of the worst rap lyrics written by athletes. Said one Shaquille O’Neal: “Forget Tony Danza, I’m the boss/When it comes to money, I’m like Dick Butkus”. Huh?
I should know–I was there last night and heard Trip Lee, Flame, and Lecrae. I also met Odd Thomas (who kindly gave me his cd, which is good, particularly “Father Figure Skating”) and talked a bit with Propaganda. The conference was run by a local Christian rap collective that features Katalyst and Decipha–both talented and really good guys. Check their stuff out.
3. While we’re on the rapping thing, a classic selection: Kobe Bryant and Tyra Banks perform “K.O.B.E.” I am not making this up. Yes, it is as strange you might think. The part where Kobe raps in Italian and the crowd goes totally quiet is one of the more awkward (and hilarious) public moments I’ve seen.
4. 20 ways to waste your money by a Kiplinger’s writer. Very helpful. This will help families (and singles) with budgeting. Also, here’s a list of “fabulous freebies” by Kiplinger’s. Good stuff.
5. My buddy Reid Monaghan, a careful thinker and gifted communicator, nicely handles the subject of cussing and speech from a biblical perspective.
6. You should really watch this. It’s a riotous take on the “Super Bowl Shuffle” by some kind of foodstore made about two decades ago. The old man who raps at around the one minute mark is outrageously funny. People of the present who rap: think before you embarrass yourself on the mic.
7. Thinking about the Kindle? This analysis of it by The New Yorker will make you think.
–Whew. That’s all for now. Have fun with this, and remember–be careful where and when you rap. Have a great weekend, all.