As a child I would pick up rocks wherever I went, and would often get yelled at my mother when she found them in the laundry stuck in pockets of pants and coats. I saw the beauty in simple things. I still do and now it’s my husband, Chuck, who does the laundry and who yells at me. Some things never change.
What I didn’t know as a child was rocks have their own energy, just as trees, flowers and people do. Have you ever met someone and instantly loved them? Or disliked them? What you are connecting with is their energy, sometimes called a vibe or gut feeling. Crystals and gemstones also have a vibration and the Native Americans used to refer to them as ‘Stone People’. Each crystal has its own purpose for healing, but I believe it is best to use your intuition as to how that crystals makes you feel on an individual basis. For instance, Lapis Lazuli is a beautiful blue crystal that is used to help raise intuition and is called the psychic stone. For years I would pick up the crystal and instantly get ill. It became a joke in my family that it was my kryptonite. I asked a physician if he knew why it made me so sick and he said there was pyrite (fool’s gold) in it and maybe I was allergic to the metal. Years later, though, I can hold or wear it without any issues. If you hold a certain crystal that might be for the purpose you think you need and you feel uck, trust the uck.
I prefer to hold the crystal before I purchase it and most all metaphysical shops have an array of crystals with their uses next to it. Author Phyllis Galde, in her book Crystal Healing, says to “Pick a stone by attraction, by being drawn to touch it, and then hold it in the left hand loosely. Let it rest against the palm chakra and notice the impressions, colors, sounds and mood feelings that accompany the stone. No two crystals are the same. They are like snowflakes. Each crystal has its own individual vibration, and each will resonate differently. Look for one that will resonate with your being—regardless of size, shape, color, or jeweler’s quality. It’s the intuitive impression which is important.”
If you hold the stone and feel zilch, or you feel sad or sick, it probably doesn’t belong to you. So what are you supposed to feel? You might feel tingly, dizzy, centered, happy, joyful, etc.
Why Utilize Crystals?
You can utilize crystals for an array of reasons that involve healing (emotional and physical). I often say that they just make me happy, and my home and office are filled with an array of crystals I have personally chosen and that make me feel joyful. They also help to ground your energy, something that can happen during intense moons or life situations.
Symptoms of being ungrounded (you may also want to see your doctor and use common sense as some of these symptoms can be caused by a medical condition):
- anxiety with no cause
- cannot focus
- sudden dizziness
- falling asleep while meditating
- inability to sleep
- heaviness in the body
- feeling spacey
- feeing emotional
- craving sugar
- wanting to eat just junk food
- mental confusion
- inability to focus on simple tasks
5 Ways to Ground Yourself:
- Get in Water – Sit in a Hot Tub or Warm Bath
- Get into Nature – Hug a Tree, take your Shoes off and Walk, or Garden
- Meditate or do Pilates or Yoga
- Utilize Crystals to Ground You – Smokey Quartz, Black Tourmaline, Hematite to name a few
- Eat Raw Foods
What Crystals Should I Get?
I couldn’t possibly tell you what all the crystals are, but one of my favorite books is The Crystal Bible. Not only does it tell you what each one is used for, it gives you a photo for identifying, and there’s a great index in the back.
Every crystal is my favorite crystal just for different reasons, but the most popular are:
Citrine – yellow in color and great to bring in joy into your life and money into your business.
Amethyst – purple – provides clarity and enhances intuition and understanding. Amethyst assists in calming the mind, reducing stress and allows restful sleep.
Lapis – Blue – is called a truth crystal, Lapis ensures that the words you speak are in alignment with your personal truth. It also helps with spiritual growth and trusting your intuition.
Clear Quartz – clear/white – Amplifies your intentions. It is also a stone of clarity.
Jasper – all different – can be programmed for whatever you would like.
Rose Quartz – pink – has a gentle energy and helps one learn unconditional love, forgiveness, and compassion. It creates harmony in relationships and helps express emotions. Rose Quartz brings a deep inner healing, enhancing self love, self trust, self worth and self confidence.
Obsidian – black – a protective and grounding stone that helps break down negative pathways or negative habits. It brings about an opportunity for serenity, clarity and change.
Tiger’s Eye – golden – is a stone of protection that is also very stabilizing and grounding. It enhances integrity, willpower, self-confidence, practicality and correct use of power.
I’ve Got My Crystals – Now What? There’s a few things you need to do once you get your crystals:
SLEEP WITH THEM: I know that sounds odd, but putting the crystals under your pillowcase or on your nightstand helps to unite its energy with your energy. NOTE: You do the same with a new deck of Tarot or Oracle cards too.
CLEANSE: You want to cleanse your crystals once you get them, but you also want to do this once a month too. They can stop working much like a furnace filter can if it’s been doing its job and filtering energy into it for you.
- SMUDGING: Hold the burning sage or cedar stick while passing your stone through the smoke. MORE info on smudging here.
- MOONLIGHT: Preferably during the FULL MOON, place your crystals outside or on your windowsill to be charged by the light of the moon.
- SUNLIGHT: You can do the same in the sunlight, but this is my least favorite way as I’ve had some of my crystals fracture from the heat.
- SEA SALT: Place your crystals in a bowl of sea salt. Not every crystal can be placed in sea salt, so make sure your crystal is okay to be cleansed this way.
- EARTH: Bury your crystals into the dirt (or flower pot) – just make sure to put a marker where you put them.
- SACRED BREATHE: Call on your higher self, guides and guardians and blow away the negativity on the stone (like blowing out your birthday candle).
- COOL WATER: Run them under cool tap water, but make certain the points of the crystal are facing down the drain to run the negative energy right down the sink. Not every crystal can be washed, so make sure your crystal is okay to be cleansed this way, and don’t use hot water as this can fracture your stone.
- VISUALIZE: Hold your stone and visualize it being cleansed.
NOW WHAT? Invite the crystals into your life and into your daily healing practices and enjoy them. I wear them, stick them in my pocket, in my purse and have them placed all over my office and home. I hold them while I meditate and have taken them with me to Yoga and Pilates class. You may not notice a difference at first, but they will work and they do work.
Crystals aren’t just pretty, they can be very helpful to those who are interested in utilizing them in their life.