Another reminder that irrespective of what the Government of US may say, the phenomenon of Narendra Modi is not receding in the background. Now, after being feted by the high and mighty of Indian business, and a highly successful speech at Shriram College of Commerce, Modi is being invited to the annual conference of The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
The 17th Annual Wharton India Economic Forum (WIEF), a student-run conference focused on business and economic development in India, is being held on March 23, 2013 at the Penn Museum in Philadelphia, PA. The theme for this year will be “Changing Seas: Steering for Growth”. Check out the site of the conference.
Since its inception 17 years ago, WIEF has become one of the largest and most prestigious India-focused business conferences in the world. It is attended by over 800 people and
is regularly covered by leading global publications and media outlets, such as The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, The New York Times, and CNBC. This year’s speakers include:
- Narendra Modi, Chief Minister of Gujarat (via videoconference)
- Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission of India (via videoconference)
- Milind Deora, Indian Minister of State for IT and Communications
- Gautam Adani, Chairman of the Adani Group
- Shabana Azmi, actress
- Javed Akhtar, poet and scriptwriter
The Keynote speakers are an impressive line up.