I can’t tell if it’s because a BIG company bought out a LITTLE company and then shut it down like a bad habit or if I’m just deeply saddened at the loss of the best online photo editing software that was easy to use and remarkably cheap at $25 per year.
Sigh and double sigh.
After much heart-felt search I’ve found my
sloppy seconds replacement.
What I’ve tried to replace Picnik with…
1. Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 – I’m on the trial period right now, and it’s a big, fat, raging NO. If your like me, and have no idea what your doing, it’s absolutely useless and impossible to figure out after an hour. And I know my way around, y’all. An hour is my limit. Also, the full version is $89.99. Steep.
2. Pixlr Express – It does a few overlays, a few frames & a few fonts. As a Picnik replacement it’s the difference between my son’s bike with training wheels and a 10-speed. If all you do is a few tweaks, and add a bit’o’text consider this your best FREE option. Although, I have apps on my iphone that do more than this.
3. Pixelmator – Arrrrggghgh. I confess to you I assumed after reading all the glowing reviews that this would be my silver bullet and I splurged $29.99 for the Mac version. I have no doubt that it’s a wonderful photo editing tool, but I don’t know how to use it and there is no manual. Yes, I looked. The reviews compared it to the power of Photoshop with a $400 price tag. So if your on that level, $30 bucks for Pixelmator is a drop in the bucket and it’s available in the Mac app store. (Since I do own it, I’m guessing I’ll dive in eventually and see the wonderous miracles it can do for an amateur iphoneographer like me).
4. Collage Maker – Also available in the Mac store for the bargain price of $2.99 for Mac users. It has 5 collage options. Picnik had about 75. Boo. Boo. Boo.
What I am replacing Picnik with…
1. BeFunky -Same set up as Picnik, with some pretty cool overlays that Picnik didn’t have. BUT…and this is BIG BUT…it doesn’t do collages! Couldn’t you just die?! A blogger without collages, I mean, seriously. We can’t live this way people! =) It has many free options just as Picnik did and the upgrade cost is the same: $25 per year. For now. Rest assured though, we can add goodies, frames, overlays, texts, colors, etc.
2. FotoFlexer – This is what I am going to use to compliment BeFunky, because they DO HAVE COLLAGES! (YAY)! And it’s free, thank the Lord.
Friends, I hope you too can learn to get over the devastating loss of our beloved Picnik thanks to
EVIL & MANIACAL google cronies.
What have you found that I failed to mention here? What’s your photo editing plan shaping up to be?
Yours for fun & cheap photo editing,