The London Daily Mail has published a grim list of other American school shootings, in addition to the one in Connecticut, whose 27 deaths made it the second worse of all time.
1. Virginia Tech – 32 dead plus the shooter, 16 April 2007, Blacksburg, Virginia
Student Seung Hui Cho, 23, killed two stuidents in a dorm and then went through building of classrooms armed with two handguns, shooting at random before killing himself.
2. University of Texas – 16 dead plus shooter, 1 August 1966, Austin, Texas
Former Marine sniper Charles Whitman, 25, armed with an arsenal of weapons shot victims from the observation deck of the campus tower.
3. Columbine High School – 13 dead plus two shooters, 20 April 1999, Littleton, Colorado
Students Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, opened fire outside the school killing students and one teacher before shooting themselves in the library.
4. Red Lake High School – 9 dead plus shooter, 21 March 2005, Red Lake, Minnesota
Jeffrey Weise, 17, goes on a shooting spree at Red Lake High School killing nine people, including his grandfather, before shooting himself.
5. University of Iowa – five dead plus shooter, 1 November 1991, University of Iowa
Gang Lu, 27, a graduate student from China killed five with a .38-caliber revolver. He was apparently angry because his doctoral dissertation had not been nominated for an academic award.
6. Amish schoolhouse massacre – six dead plus shooter, 2 October 2, 2006, Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania
Charles Carl Roberts IV, 32, executes five girls aged 7 to 13 before killing himself in a small Amish schoolhouse
7. Jonesboro, Arkansas – five dead, 24 March 1998, Jonesboro, ArkansasMitchell Johnson, 10, and Andrew Golden, 8, took seven guns to school and pulled the fire alarm and shot students as they headed for the exits. Four died plus a teacher. The pair were sent to a juvenile detention center and released in 2005.
8. Cleveland Elementary School – five dead plus shooter, 17 January 1989, in Stockton, California
Patrick Edward Purdy entered a schoolyard and opened fire with a semiautomatic rifle at Cleveland Elementary School. Five children died and 30 others were wounded including one teacher. He then shot himself.
9. University of Arizona – three dead plus shooter, 28 October 2002, University of Arizona
Robert Flores, 40, a nursing student shot an instructor in her office before entering a classroom and killing two more teachers before committing suicide.
10. Kent State University – four dead, 4 May 1970, Kent State University in Ohio
National Guard troops killed four students who took part in anti-war protests on the campus of Kent State University in Ohio.