From BioLogos by Ted Davis:
Core Tenets or Assumptions of Theistic Evolution
(1) The Bible is NOT a reliable source of scientific knowledge about the origin of the earth and the universe, including living things—because it was never intended to teach us about science.
(2) The Bible IS a reliable source of knowledge about God and spiritual things.
(3) Scientific evidence is irrelevant to the Bible—it is simply not a science book.
(4) The creation story in Genesis 1 is a confession of faith in the true creator, intended to refute pantheism and polytheism, not to tell us how God actually created the world.
(5) The Bible tells us THAT God created, not how God created.