Love this Story: Thank You Jody Thompson

Love this Story: Thank You Jody Thompson July 2, 2017


Two years ago, Officer Jody Thompson was pulling into the parking lot at the Poteau Police Department in Oklahoma to drop off his partner when he overheard a dispatch about a case of physical child abuse.

Thompson wasn’t on duty at the time, but he responded to the call and offered assistance. Before he joined the department 16 years ago, Thompson was an investigator for the district attorney’s office, where he handled dozens of abuse cases.

“I’ve investigated child abuse cases before,” Thompson told CBS News. “I thought I’d better go ahead and respond.”

When Thompson arrived at the scene, he was stunned to see a severely underweight boy — his wrists bound by belts, with bruises along his back and a huge knot on his head. The 8-year-old boy had been submerged in a trash can full of cold water.

He weighed just 61 pounds at the time.

“He did not have a spot on his body that didn’t have a bruise or abrasion,” Thompson said. “It was the worst thing I’ve ever seen.”

After covering the boy, who was named John, with a blanket, Thompson took him to an Oklahoma Children’s Advocacy Center so detectives and investigators could take photographs. When they were done, Thompson drove him to the emergency room.

“I sat with him,” Thompson said. “And when he was admitted into the intensive care unit, I sat all night until the next day.”

Thompson refused to let John out of his sight. He knew from the first moment he saw him he wanted to take care of him for the rest of his life.

“When I’d seen him in that house shivering and his hands tied — just soaking wet and confused — I knew at that moment the only time I would be satisfied and sure that he was safe is if he was with me,” Thompson said.

The next day, Thompson contacted the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (DHS) to become a certified foster parent. A couple days later, he brought John home.

“At the time, I had a 15-year-old son and an 8-year-old son. When I brought John home I didn’t tell them or my wife,” Thompson said. “Everyone knew… they trusted I was doing the right thing before they even knew what happened and heard the story.”

Thompson welcomed John into his home on April 30, 2015. Two days later, he found out his wife was pregnant with their third biological son.

“But the story gets even more incredible,” Thompson explained.

Nearly 7 months later, on November 3, 2015, DHS called to inform the Thompsons that John’s mother had given birth to a baby girl while in jail. Officials asked the Thompsons if they would be interested in fostering her.

“We literally picked her up in the hospital the next day when she was a day old and brought her straight home,” Thompson said. “Never in my life did I dream of having a large family, but God had different plans and so here we are. And I’m loving it all.”


Browse Our Archives

Follow Us!

What Are Your Thoughts?leave a comment