12 Honors for Fathers of Daughters
Along with meeting Jesus and having a wife, there is nothing that changes a man for the better more than having a daughter. Life is filled with many gifts, and a daughter is a special gift. As a man with two daughters, I am doubly blessed. This week our youngest daughter, Alexie, turned 12. In light of her birthday, I thought of 12 honors that God the Father bestows on those of us with daughters.
- The world is a dangerous place, and a daddy is commissioned to protect his daughter from harm.
- By providing for her practical and emotional needs, a daddy creates an environment in which his daughter can flourish.
- A daddy provides appropriate male affection that helps safeguard a girl from seeking it elsewhere.
- In loving her mom, a dad sets a pattern of what a healthy relationship should look like.
- Since they are both called “father”, a daddy can help a girl understand the love of her heavenly Father.
- In a world filled with confusion and manipulation, a daddy can help a girl understand her true identity and value.
- By having fun with his daughter, a daddy nurtures a relationship in which she wants to spend time with him.
- By being a teacher to his girl, a daddy can help her navigate the practical issues of life.
- As her first pastor, a daddy introduces his daughter to Jesus, the Bible, prayer, and church.
- By knowing and encouraging his daughter, a daddy can help her be secure in who God made her to be.
- By acknowledging his own faults, flaws, and failures, a daddy helps his daughter learn how to be honest about her own struggles.
- In accepting his daughter as a gift from the Lord, a daddy sees her as a treasure and helps her to also see herself as a treasure.