How about in the future, when we have some hot issue to discuss, we use these terms of engagement on how to fight fair:
1. Be respectful. Donâ€™t name-call, use sarcasm, or belittle others.
Example: â€œI believe thereâ€™s a God because he talks to me!â€
â€œI always thought you were a stupid idiot!â€
Example: â€œIf there is a God, why is there so much evil in the world?â€ â€œYa, well, youâ€™re Satan! Thatâ€™s why, you stupid idiot!â€
3. Stay on point. Donâ€™t change the subject until youâ€™ve dealt with the original issue.
Example: â€œI donâ€™t like the church and refuse to attend such an abusive institution!â€ â€œYa, well, you werenâ€™t breast-fed enough! Let’s talk about that, you stupid idiot!â€
4. Wait before writing. Donâ€™t respond when angry. Cool off first. Present a reasoned response. It can be impassioned, but make sure it is not a knee-jerk reaction.
Example: â€œI love Jesus because heâ€™s my personal Lord and Savior!â€ â€œOh is that right? Then why every time you open your mouth, I smell manure, you stupid idiot!â€
Example: â€œGod is your imaginary friend!â€ â€œWell, men are from Mars; women are from Venus. But you might as well be speaking from Uranus, you stupid idiot!â€
6. If you donâ€™t understand what they are saying, ask for clarity. Donâ€™t assume you know what they mean. Example: â€œI donâ€™t believe thereâ€™s a literal Hell.â€ â€œThatâ€™s why I think youâ€™re going to hell!â€ â€œYa, well, I must already be there because Iâ€™m talking to you, you stupid idiot!â€
7. Even if we argue ideas, try to respect and appreciate other people, even love them.
Anyway, those are just a few rules to help us fight fair and to encourage everyone to stay in the game. No head-butting! Check out this site for a humorous mixture of advice:
Check out this site for some humorous advice on debating fair!