Following my post yesterday, we have been having a nice conversation over Twitter about Jesus with some Muslims. It has been really pleasant to be able to converse without anger or bitterness with them about our similarities and differences.
Most of the following areas of agreement are initially drawn from the article I linked to in yesterdays post. If anyone wants to add to these please do so in the comments. Tomorrow I will post a similar article about things we disagree on.
- That Jesus was a messenger of God (Surah 2:136 and John 8:42)
- That Jesus is the Word of God (Surah 4:171 and John 1)
- That Jesus had a miraculous birth, born to the virgin Mary (see Surah 19:20 and Matthew 1:18-23)
- That Jesus promoted compassion and mercy (Surah 57:27 and Matthew 9:36)
- That Jesus healed the sick and raised the dead (Surah 3:49 and Luke 7)
- That Jesus performed miracles involving food. (Surah 5:112-115 and Matthew 15:32-38)
- That Jesus escaped death (we do, however, differ about how he did this)
- That Jesus ascended to heaven and is living there today (Surah 3:55 and Acts 1)
- That Jesus will return to earth (Surah 43:61 and Acts 1)
- That Jesus mother should not be worshipped (Surah 5:116 and Luke 4:8)
- That the cross involved substitution (more of this tomorrow).
Note that items 7 -8 are not the view believed by every Muslim (more of this tomorrow also).