Samhain is coming. It is one of my favorite times of year and holds a lot of memories for me, all the way throughout my childhood. I was raised in a home that celebrated Halloween, decorated for the holiday, purchased candy and celebrated it like all the other popular holidays of the year. My mother’s birthday is on Halloween, so it was a special day for many reasons.
There was no idea in my childhood that I might grow up to be Wiccan but when I realized my path there was no surprise that I already had a strong affinity for October 31st.
As this year comes to an end next month, I find that I am feeling the yearning to thrust myself into the season and prepare for the coming New Year. While I am not a fan of the dark half of the year, I am a huge fan of autumn and love preparing for a chance to renew myself.
Here is what came to me this week; I am looking forward to cleaning, redecorating, recharging and resetting the intention to my altars, tools and life goals. I am excited about a chance to commune with my ancestors and get whispers of wisdom for the coming year. I am excited at the chance to hear the voice of my mother resonate in my mind, body and soul.
In light of the coming season, I plan to do a couple of things to support magical preparation.
- Prepare my ancestor altar for the month of October.
- Decorate my house and buy a couple of new Witchy signs for the front yard.
- Dedicate a candle to the honor of my ancestors and light it every day for the month of October to give thanks and acknowledgments of who they were and are to me.
- Spend some time reflecting on my goals and those things I need to leave behind from the old year, leaving it behind as I move to the new.
- Take those goals and write a new reflection mantra to carry me through the New Year.
What do others do for the month of October to prepare or celebrate the Samhain season? I would love to hear a bit about the practices of others; People of Color and those who are not.