New York anti-abortion billboard removed

You probably remember this story from earlier in the week.  Now the billboard in question has officially been removed:

New York’s Archbishop Timothy Dolan has a few things to say about all this on his blog:

Here in New York, a billboard was recently displayed, that simply stated “The most dangerous place for an African-American is in the womb.” This message was accompanied by a photograph of a young, African-American girl.

Is that message unpleasant?  Is it upsetting?  Does it get our attention?

Because the message is somberly true. The City of New York’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene recently released its vital statistics from a year ago which showed that 59.8% of African-American pregnancies in New York City ended in abortion. That’s even higher than the chilling city-wide average of 41% of pregnancies ending in abortion. (I joined other community leaders from a diversity of religious and ethnic backgrounds at a press conference sponsored by the Chiaroscuro Foundation about this a few weeks ago.)

So why has the billboard suddenly been taken down? What was it that moved many of our elected officials to condemn this ad and call for the gag order. Are they claiming that free speech is a right enjoyed only by those who favor abortion or their pet causes? Do they believe that unpleasant and disturbing truths should not be spoken? Or are they afraid that when people are finally confronted with the reality of the horror of abortion, and with the toll that it is taking in our city, particularly in our African-American community, that they will be moved to defend innocent, unborn, human life?

Check out the rest.  And CNA has more on the billboard controversy. And Alveda King has also weighed in.

Comments

1. I wonder what would have happened if it was a GLTG (Gay-Lesbian-Trans-gender) billboard or a Sex in the City advertisement? Oh it would probably hang on the wall until it faded.

What an evil and wicked generation we are.

2. At least we know that the billboard struck a nerve with the pro abortion crowd. At the very least it made them uncomfortable. Unpleasant truth indeed.

3. I see the billboard as as one giant metaphoric state of conscience of our country: Keep the truth out of it!

It’s amazing how effective truth is. I suggest the author print up millions of them, like “little holy cards”, that we can leave on NYC trains, in restaurant bathrooms, and just about everywhere and anywhere.

Despite the short showing, this ad proved to be one of the greatest “marketing focus groups” of all times; truth sells!

4. ron chandonia says:

Getting attention this way does not necessarily lead to a change of heart; more likely, it will lead to a hardening of hearts. I don’t think the problem is the billboards themselves so much as the implicit message critics see in the ads: black women are a menace to their own children. I really prefer the “Women Deserve Better Than Abortion” concept that the Feminists for Life group uses. It’s possible those ads would draw as much fire as this one did, but I think it might be worthwhile to test it.

Excellent that it is gone. The problem with it, IMO, was the direct message implying that the only women getting abortions were Black women—-which is totally untrue.

6. The message was not at all implying that black women were the only women getting abortions. It wasn’t implying anthing. It was stating the fact that black women have the greatest percentage of abortions. Funny how the message could be twisted to suit one’s fancy.
    Interesting that some of the comments on local news in NYC from black and Hispanic women were in favor of the billboard.

RomCath, yes, all signs can be twisted to suit one’s fancy. That’s one of the joys of life.

8. romancrusader says:

Reason it was taken down was simple. It made Satan angry, and it touched a nerve.

Rrrrright, and the moon is made of green cheese. :o)

Dr. A. King supported the billboard, and I think would have liked it to remain up. IMO, what some folks fail to see is that no one forces the Black women to have an abortion. Abortion is still and should always be the decision of the woman involved, and no one else. Apparently in NYC more Black women are having terminations than other groups—perhaps there should be some investigation as to why that is true.

11. I would say killing a life would be a terrible decision.

12. wineinthewater says:

I think my only objection to the billboard was that it took a tack so easy to malign. It was easy for opponents to say that the billboard was an attack on black women, even though it is nothing of the sort. That weakness made it easy to find a “legitimate” thing to get outraged about so that they would not have to face the outrage of so many dead African American children.

Good point, wineinthewater.

14. romancrusader says:

“Rrrrright, and the moon is made of green cheese.”

Paganister, I get the distinct impression you just made a mockery of Catholic beliefs. Do you get a sick joy out of that?

15. romancrusader says:

Remember, the greatest lie the Devil told the world is that he didn’t exist.

16. Where are the civil libertarians crying “Outrage!”?

Anytime attention is called to the attacks on Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular that regularly appear as works of “art,” and often at public expense, the outraged left cries, “No censorship!” “Freedom of speech!” “Artistic expression!” Never is the defense of faith accompanied by harassment, intimidation or threats of violence.

Yet, those opposed to the simply true message of this billboard harass restaurant workers in the building below and use threats of protests and violence in their demand that the billboard be removed. Even at least one public official, whose salary is paid for by the taxpayers, made a public demand for the censorship of a private statement of speech.

Those who demanded the removal of this billboard are bullies. That they won this battle is chilling and is, I fear, a harbinger of things to come: “If you disagree with me, or with the party line, or with the government-approved message, you do not have the right to speak your mind!”

God bless America!

No mockery of the Catholics at all, romancrusader, or any other faith for that matter. Personally, I have a problem with blaming satan, the devil, or Lucifer or any other name that the “bad dude” is called for a person’s behavior. IMO human beings are in charge of their behavior, and are influenced by a lot of things—environment, experiences, parents—friends etc. If indeed a woman feels the need to not continue a pregnancy (no matter what color she might be) it has nothing to do with a satan, devil or Lucifer—she makes the decision. If a person breaks the law somehow, no matter how horrible or slight, that person is responsible, not satan, the devil or Lucifer. Human beings are in charge of their own behavior. IMO, simple. Can’t use some invisible being for doing wrong. I wouldn’t mock a faith I spent 10 years teaching to 5 year olds. Personally, I don’t believe in the bad dude.

romancrusder: I know, I know, the devil has been lying to me for over 60 years! But if I don’t believe in him, how can he/she lie to me?

pagansister, the simple, but I believe sufficient, answer to your question i #18 is that our beliefs do not control external reality. Drawing out the implication, if there is a devil and he can somehow “speak” to people (i.e., plant suggestions in their minds), then he can do it whether or not they believe in him — just as God can plant good impulses in everybody’s mind.

I know this is a side issue, and you’re question seems to be light-hearted. I hope my response doesn’t seem heavy-handed.

BobRN — You hit the nail on the head.

Not heavy handed at all, naturgesetz. Appreciate your imput.