New poll: Santorum beats Obama

This news should give a few people pause:

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Saturday shows that 26% of the nation’s voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as president. Forty percent (40%) Strongly Disapprove, giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -14 (see trends).

In a potential Election 2012 matchup, former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum is at 45% while President Obama earns 44%. This is the first time in any poll that Santorum has led the president. Several other GOP challengers have led the president a single time in the polls including Rick Perry, Herman Cain, and Newt Gingrich. Each man briefly held the lead while they were surging in the polls, only to fall quickly. It remains to be seen what will happen to Santorum’s support.

Santorum gets 78% of the Republican vote and leads by ten among those not affiliated with either major party. President Obama get 83% of the Democratic vote in that matchup. Santorum leads by 16 points among men but trails by 12 among women. As is typically the case in all matchups, the president leads among those under 40 while the GOP hopeful leads among those who are over 40.

Read more.

Comments

1. I wonder, though, what percentage of the electorate has really tuned into the race at this point and whether most of those polled have anything more than a passing awareness of what Santorum stands for and what he has said and done in the past. I’m not trying to provoke here; simply wondering if Santorum is sort of filling the “generic Republican” role for the general electorate in that poll — meaning that he is opposed to Obama, and he is the guy who is the un-Romney and the un-Newt. My hunch is that he would not do so well in that poll if he became a better known candidate outside of the pool of GOP primary voters — with particular stands and statements that would turn off this slice of voters or that slice.

And, let’s face it, the 40% figure of “strong” disapproval to Obama isn’t all that surprising. There were plenty of people (maybe 30% if not 40%) who strongly opposed him in Jan 2009. There are plenty of people in this country, unfortunately, who go far beyond strongly opposing Barack Obama’s policies and actually hate the man, call him all sorts of names, demonize him at every turn. Yes, one can oppose this president on reasonable grounds, as has been the case with every elected official in U.S. history. But there’s a slice of that 40% who aren’t focused as much on policy as their despisal of the man — which is a sad thing.

2. I found something very interesting in the latest Gallop poll looking at state by state race. What is showed is that Obama could be heading to a massive electoral vote loss by a landslide. http://www.gallup.com/poll/152372/Obama-Approval-Above-States-2011.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=Politics%20-%20Presidential%20Job%20Approval

When you really pour through the numbers, it is really not looking good. He might still be holding large vote margins in large states, but is getting killed in the electoral college.

As to Santorum, I am beggining to see a move, but it could well be too little too late. I hope he focuses his guns on Romney rather than this ongoing issue with Newt. It will help him with conservatives.

3. I really think Rick is the best canidate… and this poll is interesting because often you hear the argument that Romney would win the moderate Americans better than Santorum. We’ll see how all the primaries pan out. I would really like Santorum, his stance on life is great, and he is actually a good Catholic!

4. …nothing is impossible for God.

Sticking with President Obama—as an Independent voter.

6. Don from NH says:

It will never come to pass.. only in someone’s dreams

7. Great for Santorum. I have no idea why the anti Romney folks put their beans in the Newt basket. Santorum is a the better alternative. I think a Romney/Santorum ticket (teaming economics and social values) might be the path forward, that is of course if Rubio is serious about not being VP.

8. What a shock.

Sounds good to me.

10. Mr. Santorum cannot even beat his Republican challengers, generally pulling in about 10% of the vote. In what reality does he actually challenge Obama? There’s no way.

I also think Steve in the first post has an excellent point. I have never seen such hatred as that which is directed at the President, from the moment he was elected. It’s why so many on the Right and in the Catholic media lose credibility and preach to the choir when it comes to Obama…everything he does strikes them as wrong and evil and he’s always been wrong and evil. When he actually starts doing something that merits a strong challenge (ie the conscience clause), no one outside their own small circles are listening because his critics have always hated him and always attacked him, so what else is new?

11. Santorum is not electable.

The economy is the only issue for American voters. if the economy continues to improve, Obama will be re-elected.

12. I will vote for any one against Little Domitian Obama.

13. Never doubted that for a minute. Anyone choosing to use the name Pagan would find a lot in common with our current leader and his clan.

14. I am putting my money on Romney / Jeb Bush if Romney wins. Jeb brings strong support of Catholics and can speak to the latino vote and should lock up Florida. I don’t think Rubio runs this time as VP. Only negative is a possible hit on another Bush in power, but Jeb is in many ways a better candidate than his brother W. or the dad.

15. The problem is that Mr Santorum has one significant GOP rival who is amassing delegates and holds a significant lead over him. There is nobody running against the president at this time. These polls, as they are constituted, are meaningless. Even if we were to set aside the constitution and hold an election today.

The president has done a decent job with the economy. He will get the message out that the seeds were planted for ruin under Mr Bush, and that none of the Republican challengers have anything more to offer than to pad the coffers of the rich. And seriously, none of the GOP candidates has anything to run on than being not-Obama.

I also need to point out a whiff of hypocrisy from out host here. While I have no problem with him challenging me on my manners, I will point out he seems rather remiss in dealing with direct namecalling. It is a particular challenge in these very contentious days on these contentious topics to keep a cool head. Clearly, many of my sister and brother Catholics fail to do so time and time again. I don’t think it helps the cause. It is certainly more in keeping with the pattern of politics, rather than the pattern of the Gospel. And on that, there is nothing generally wrong with a moral, believing person being political first–just as long as we know what that means.

[Todd, I try to give people a certain amount of leeway in commenting, but draw the line at racism, sexism, outright bigotry or childish tantrum-throwing. Despite that, I know: some things do get by. Hypocrisy? Hardly. I have three full time jobs; I can't watch the comments 24/7. I edit offensive comments as promptly as I can. -- Ed.]

16. Take a look at the Nevada causes last night. IF Santorum were viable, he’d have come in 2nd and was a poor 4th. Face it, Santorum WON’T be the nominee. He doesn’t have money or an organization. The nomination fight is really a 2 man race between Newt and Romney, that wil continue be nasty.
    Also, Ramussen is considered to have a Republican bias among the polling community as it were, some would say substantial. Others would say not. I don’t know enough about polling bias to confirm this, however, I’ve found the FIVE THIRTY EIGHT polling blog by Nate Silver to be pretty helpful in analysing polling etc.
    I think Joe is probably right, if the economy improves enough, the President gets reelected. His numbers have already improved in Ohio, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. The governors in Ohio and Wisconsin are also helping him by firing up the Dem base. Likewise, the Republicans position on immigration ala Arizona, Alabama and Indiana is damaging the Republican brand among Hispanic voters. Right now, they’re losing about 2-1 or better. As it stands now, the election could go either way,but in any case Rick Santorum won’t be a factor.

17. Just a whiff, and to be clear, it’s more an observation than a criticism. I certainly give more leeway in my commentariat to people who have been longtime visitors. And I bend over backwards to allow people to comment briskly.

And also to clarify, my observation is directed more to Greg, who certainly took time out from his 120 hours of weekly work to offer me a brotherly correction. My criticism is leveled at the president’s critics, who I think might get more traction if they dispensed with the name-calling and focused more on the issues. Am I right on this one?

18. “Independent voter” is a euphemism for a Democrat who is so clueless that he imagines that he’s “middle of the road.”

19. You’re exactly right. Ignore the fact that it’s not very Christian…the name calling is counterproductive because it turns off anyone who already isn’t in agreement with the person doing the name-calling.

20. Good point. I had not considered Jeb Bush. I would be gung-ho for that. However, another Bush on the ticket might be too much. A Bush has been on the ticket for every election since 1980 with the exception of 1996.

21. Obama has been the most arrogant of people from the beginning. Even Hillary and her followers couldn’t stomach his ego. Top it off that he has shoved his healthcare down our throats against the will of the public, burned through a trillion dollars without anything to show for it (the economy is finally turning on its own), and now he’s trying to destroy religious conscience, and what’s to like?

22. Decent job with the economy? Don’t make me laugh. The recession ended in the spring of 2009, a couple of months after he took office and just before he put through his “shovel ready jobs stimulous” plan. What a joke that was. He spent a trillion dollars and the economy nearly went into a double dip recession. He caused it. He caused it by thowing us into such a deep debt, shoving Obamacare down the throats of Americans, which caused all businesses to re-evaluate hiring since healthcare is their highest employee cost, he stopped the oil drilling for nearly a year, which depleted all sorts of jobs and revenue, and his administration has passed the most gaudy regulations ever. He has stiffled the economy and prevented businesses from hiring. He is either incompetant or a professed socialist pushing the country to the extreme.

23. There are no “independent voters”? Do you support EVERYTHING either party supports?

24. I have to chuckle when people use the “socialist” label.

25. jack kielbasa says:

Pagan-your devotion is sadly misplaced – the object of your attention, if not affection is a worthless fraud – he has had his on the job training long enough and failed miserably and frankly if you cannot see the fact in that comment – I think you might be delusional or truly need medical assistance…..God help you in your confusion.

26. By the way, The washington Examiner, a very conservative publication, published a poll today saying that 53% of those polled believe the President will now be reelected. This preobably reflects the clown show the Repbulican nomination race has become and the attacks by Newt on Romney. Indeed, I heard one Republican pundit say this morning that the Republican field was made up of some very flawed candidates. Politco summed up the race in Florida as the Cocktail Party versus the Tea party and I think that’s right. So far, the country clubbers are winning and if social conservatives think they care them after election day, they’re dead wrong. These days the Reublican Party is made up of 2 very distinct wings or should I say, culturtes. Why it hasn’t flown part yet, amazes me.

“I have never seen such hatred as that which is directed at the President, from the moment he was elected.” You must not have been around when George Bush was President. The hatred directed at him was way worse than anything I’ve seen directed at Obama.

28. Our government has a very evil agenda and embraces and enforces the culture of death. Only a matter of time before you and I are also too old, too sick, too disabled such that we are also deemed a non-person and can be helped off this planet.

What has been done to the economy and the nation’s debt is unimaginable. What has been done to our position as a superpower is under erosion.

The shredding of the constitution is a grave concern. We will all feel the effects over time if the present slippery slope continues. And this society will not be sustained.

29. friscoeddie says:

The title of this thread is
    “New poll: Santorum beats Obama”
    Silly, sad, inaccurate and created to bring false hope to ideologues’ Why else?

30. People didn’t like President Bush and questioned his intelligence, but I didn’t see the vitorol that I’ve seen directed towards President Obama. People didn’t get really upset/frustrated with President Bush until the Iraq War and the whole weapons of mass destruction fiasco. The people who hate Obama do so with a passion…the closest I’ve ever seen was the feelings some had for Nixon.

31. What??? You didn’t see the vitriol against President Bush? My God, how could you miss it. You weren’t looking very hard.

32. Pol.
    We elect the president by electoral votes. If Obama gains huge majorities in a few states, it might help with the popular vote, but does not matter on who wins the election. In the comment above, I linked to a Gallop look at the states and electoral votes and it shows right now Obama would lose in a landslide. Take a look as it really shows you the full extent of Obama’s problem along with the democrats in general. As to the republican process looking like a clown show, it would be hard for any of the candidates to out clown the clown now in place. As to the different people in the republican party not uniting for the general election, fear not. If Obama and his team can unite Cardinal Roger Mahoney with the rest of the Bishops incluing ones like Chaput, be not afraid that they will easily unite the Republicans who see Obama for another 4 years as a major danger to this country.

33. Friscoe, the national picture for Obama in the electoral college is a major disaster. Could bring a landslide unseen since Reagan to oust Obama. Take a look at the link above I posted and read it and weep.

34. Right, but they call it “choice” “death with dignity” and “quality of life”. All newspeak for the culture of death.

35. I just read the Gallup update today, which essentially calls this an even race alhtough I give the President an edge. WHY? Becuase the primaries have done some serious damage to Romney. He’s seen now as a wealthy empty suit and he’s lost his lead among the independents. If the primairies continue as they are, he won’t be able to move back to the center, which not only doesn’t help him but hurts.
    And yes, I know all about the electoral college. I have a master’s in poli sci and have in presidential campaigns on the state locall level since 1976. In fact, I’ve actually been in Iowa and New Hampshire. Aside from my “real” job, this is what I do for a living. I don’t read one poll, but many. I talk to other operatives. What I don’t do is simply read things that reinforce my own biases.
    YOU view this from a very Catholic perspective, but that is only part of the story and I think you are attributing more influence to the Bishops that they have. As for uniting the Republican party, I suggest you read Nate Silver for some interesting insights.
    It also might surprise you that the President takes a lot of heat for trying to compromise. God knows that he’s tried for 3 years and after 3 years of being punched in the face by Congressional Republican, insulted to his face, called everything but the N word, he’s finally learned that you don’t bring a knife to a gun fight.
    You also might be interested to know that that pundit from the American Enterprise Institute called The Presdent what he is- a moderate Democrat. You want a socialist, try Bernie Sanders of Vermont or maybe Barbara Boxer of California.

36. Of course it is,friscoeddie. See my above post. The ONLY people they talk to are those who live in their little Catholic Ghetto.

37. [Blessings on you, Deacon. Great blog. I saw this stunning article on the web.]

EMPEROR AND EMPRESS OBAMA

The Old Testament has time-proven insights into professional vacationers like the Obamas:
    Proverbs 19:10 (NIV): “It is not fitting for a fool to live in luxury – how much worse for a slave to rule over princes!”
    Also Proverbs 30:22 (NIV) which says that the earth cannot bear up under “a servant who becomes king.”
    And Ecclesiastes 5:2-3 (KJV) advises: “let thy words be few…a fool’s voice is known by multitude of words.”
    Although Obama is not descended from slaves, he may feel that he’s destined to become a black-slavery avenger.
    Or maybe an enslaver of all free citizens!
    For some stunning info on Pres. Obama and his fellow traitors, Google “Imam Bloomberg’s Sharia Mosque,” “Michelle Obama’s Allah-day,” “Obama Supports Public Depravity,” “David Letterman’s Hate Etc.,” “Un-Americans Fight Franklin Graham” and also “Sandra Bernhard, Larry David, Kathy Griffin, Bill Maher, Joan Rivers, Sarah Silverman.” Also Google “Islam will purify Jews and Christians” and “Prof. F. N. Lee’s ISLAM IN THE BIBLE [PDF].”
    Since Christians are commanded to ask God to send severe judgment on persons who commit and support the worst forms of evil (see I Cor. 5 and note “taken away”), Christians everywhere should constantly pray that the Lord will soon “take away” or at least overthrow all US leaders (including subversive, America-hating, Jesus-bashing Hollywood shmucks) who continue to sear their conscience, who dangle every unspeakably filthy vice before young people, and who arrogantly trample the God-given rights of the majority including the rights of the unborn. Do we need a second American Revolution?
    After the Obamas are kicked out of the White House, there will be no place on earth where they can escape from scowling folks who wish to belatedly express their gratitude, in tangible ways, to the Obamas who tried to destroy the greatest nation ever.
    For the record I’ll predict that after the Nov. 2012 election, Obama will try something so unthinkably insane that he will be physically restrained and locked up – and remember where you heard this first!

38. Could it be because Obama is a “wanna be” dictator. Ron Paul is right!

39. Amen!