One family, two deacons

A H/T to Padre Vic for posting this on his Facebook page: Deacon Dennis Dorner, Jr. being vested by his dad, Deacon Dennis Dorner, Sr., this morning during the ordination of transitional deacons in the Archdiocese of Atlanta.  Congrats to both of the Dorner Deacons!  :-)

Comments

1. ron chandonia says:

Deacon Dennis has been a great blessing for our archdiocese, which he serves as chancellor, and for the permanent diaconate here, which he directs. He is wise, compassionate, and hard-working. I have never met his son, but if he is anything like his dad, we will be well served by the latest Deacon Dorner.

I wonder how long it will be before we see father and son permanent deacons (or even three generations!).

3. no family, ex-seminarian.

In our neck of the woods, we did have a father-in-law/son-in-law pair of permanently ordained deacons.

5. Fiergenholt says:

Dcn Norb — WAIT A MINUTE !

One lady who was both the daughter of a deacon and the wife of a deacon ? !

Must have been some kind of saint!

6. deacon jim says:

In my ordination class (2008), one of my classmates was vested by his dad, who is a deacon from the northeast. It was a very special thing to experience.

7. My wife and I were present for the Ordination of the younger Deacon Dorner on Saturday. It was a truly special moment, especially as Dad’s stole was used to vest his son after he lay prostrate on the floor almost at the feet of his father. The younger transitional Deacon Dennis will be an awesome addition to the priesthood for the Archdiocese of Atlanta when he is ordained next year. You should have heard his first homily today…outstanding and as his father admitted later there will now be competition in the parish…
    Both of these fine gentlemen have been kind enough to participate in the Hands Project that we have been working on. They are, as we say down South, good people!

8. oldestof9 says:

VERY COOL.

Won’t lack for topics to discuss when they are together! :o)

10. richard kuebbing says:

One of the subtexts here is the Archdiocese of Atlanta. I have been here a bit over 1.5 decades. It seems to me the growth of the laity, diaconate and presbyterate here has been at or near the top of all dioceses in the USA. As a Knight of Columbus over most of that time, I can say that we have more than doubled.

11. I am sure they both recieved enthusiastic encouragement from Arch Bishop Gregory